Can MakeMKV retain ALL streams, even those it thinks are "empty"?

Everything related to MakeMKV
MarkF

Can MakeMKV retain ALL streams, even those it thinks are "empty"?

Post by MarkF »

I have an old-ish DVD of Forbidden Planet. (Warner Bros 65059) The film is dubbed and the DVD has audio tracks in English, French, and Spanish. MakeMKV thinks the Spanish audio stream is empty, so it removes it from the rip.

Is there any advanced parameter or other method of forcing MakeMKV to keep all streams, including those it thinks are empty? or perhaps a way to make it search further (all the way?) into the stream before deciding it has no content?

Similar problems can exist with subtitle streams as well: if there are subtitles on the DVD in multiple languages but words do not occur until well into the track, MakeMKV appears to think that all the subtitle streams are the same, so it retains only one of them.

Thanks.
Woodstock

Re: Can MakeMKV retain ALL streams, even those it thinks are "empty"?

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV extracts all streams unless told not to (you can do that in preferences). If MakeMKV thinks a track is "empty", it is because the track had no data. I've only seen that for subtitle tracks, and usually for auto-generated ones (forced-only tracks).

If they are NOT empty, the movie would fail other checks.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

It should work as Woodstock describes. However, I think it should be possible to make a decrypted backup of the DVD with MakeMKV, which will make a .iso file. I think that will be able to be opened in MKVToolNix GUI where you can make .mkv files of the movie with whatever audio & subtitle tracks MKVToolNix finds.

I don't have a DVD handy to test with, so I can't say for sure.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Actually, looking at the various editions of Forbidden Planet I can find, it does NOT have Spanish as an AUDIO track, only as a SUBTITLE track. Audio is just English and French. So, it seems normal for MakeMKV to remove a Spanish AUDIO track.

I wonder why it would say there was one?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging