MakeMKV 1.9.10 freezes at start

Everything related to MakeMKV
marcelospera

MakeMKV 1.9.10 freezes at start

Post by marcelospera »

Hey, guys, I need your help, please. The most recent version of MakeMKV, 1.9.10, freezes at start on my computer. I recently reinstalled all my Windows 10 and the problem remains, so it's not an OS problem. All previous versions I tried in the past worked very fine. Does someone reported this problem too?

Thank you.
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV 1.9.10 freezes at start

Post by Woodstock »

Are you SURE it isn't an operating system problem?

There is an issue with the antivirus Windows 10 ships with deciding that MakeMKV has "virus-like behavior" (it contacts a server in Russia to look for updates), and it blocks access to parts of the program, unless you white-list it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Ravik

Post by Ravik »

Not sure how related this is, but I was running 1.9.10 just fine on Windows 7 64-bit when I upgraded to Windows 10 64-bit last night. Can't get the app to load now. I keep getting a "Fatal error occurred; program will now exit" message every time I open the app. The app immediately freezes, and after about 30-seconds of hanging is when the message pops up.

I was using expert mode before the upgrade, and saw in a previous thread that there was an issue back in 1.7.0 that had a similar problem with the expert mode. Not saying that's connected, but would be interested to try and disable this from outside the app to see if that's perchance what's causing it. Couldn't find any .ini files, though. (?)

Going to try booting into safe mode to see if that fixes anything. Will report back what I find.

Cheers!
Ravik

Post by Ravik »

As promised, here's what I found. Rebooting in safe mode allows me to run MakeMKV just fine. I proceeded to deselect "Expert Mode" and "Error Logging", then restarted the app (still in safe mode) and it booted up again just fine.

Rebooted to normal Windows 10 with "Expert Mode" and "Error Logging" disabled, and MakeMKV started up just fine. Went back into the options menu and re-selected both "Expert Mode" and "Error Logging" and restarted the app. No problems whatsoever. The fatal error is gone now!

Hope this fixes your issue. My guess is that the .MakeMKV folder didn't register correctly during the upgrade to Windows 10. Good luck!

Cheers!