Issues but no errors.

Everything related to MakeMKV
spartanstew

Issues but no errors.

Post by spartanstew »

I've been transferring several back-up DVD's (all in SD) to an external drive.

After copying about 10 DVD's successfully, I just started ripping the rest. I received a couple of failure errors due to damaged discs, but all the rest were successfully completed.

After I had ripped about 100 DVD's, I noticed that a couple of the files were really small (i.e. 700MB) and, of course, wouldn't play. I decided to check all the rips I had done and discovered 34 rips out of 150 that wouldn't play. Some were partials (less than 1GB), but many were what looked to be the full movie (i.e. 4GB). I never received an error on any of them.

As as example, I tried ripping Peter Pan 2 from my kids back up copy. Went through the whole process with no errors, but the file won't play. So, next, I used DVDShrink to make a VTS file from the back-up DVD. Shrink read the disc fine and copied the complete disc to a folder.

Next, I used MakeMKV to open the file and rip it to my external HD. It gets to about 5 minutes remaining and then jumps to the end. Then it says "copy complete. 1 titles saved." However, the file is only 743MB (partial movie) and won't play.

Here's what the log looks like:

Opening files on harddrive at H:/Movies/Peter pan/
Cell 28 was discarded (structure protection?)
Titel #0 was added (27 cell(s), 1:12:16)
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 title into directory I:/Disney
1 titles saved

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Is the discarded cell the issue? Why would it be discarding that cell if it works fine in Shrink (can read it and rip it)?

Thanks for any help.
spartanstew

Re: Issues but no errors.

Post by spartanstew »

Here's another one. Tried ripping Chicken Little directly from a backup disc.

Entire process seems like it goes fine (never jumps to the end, no errors). File is 3.29GB (file size at start shows 3.3GB), but it won't play at all. When done says "copy complete. 1 titles saved."

Log:

Using direct access mode
Title #0 was added (1 cell(s), 0:00:14)
Cell 2 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #1 was added (1 cell(s), 0:00:17)
Cell 44 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #2 was added (43 cell(s), 1:20:29)
Operation sucessfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory I:/Disney
1 titles saved.
spartanstew

Post by spartanstew »

Well, it seems I jumped the gun slightly.

When I connect the HD to my WDTV, the full files (like Chicken Little above) play fine. Not sure why some of them aren't playing on my computer.

However, that still leaves a handful of movies (like the one in the first post), that for some reason only copy over a small portion of the movie (5 or 6 chapters out of 20), yet gives no error message and says "Copy complete. 1 title saved"
spartanstew

Post by spartanstew »

One more: Tried ripping Snow White (SD) from a back up copy disc. Everything was successful, except I noticed that the file was 2.8GB, when it should be 3.5GB.

Movie plays on my WDTV, but it abruptly ends at Chapter 17. The movie is 1 hour, 23 minutes long, but the file is only 1 hour, 8 minutes long. The last 15 minutes (4 chapters) are missing.

Used DVDShrink again and converted the disc to a vts file. Used makemkv to open that file and convert to an mkv pack. Same thing happens. Everything seems to go fine, but the end of the movie is missing. Here's the log:

Opening files on hardrive at H:/Movies/
Cell 44 was discarded (structure protection?)
Title #0 was added (43 cell(s), 1:23:11)
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory I:/Disney
1 titles saved

Any ideas why it periodically only does parts of the movie with no error?

Additionally, is there an easy way to check after done to see if everything is right? For some reason, the file doesn't always play in Media Player Classic or WMP11 (and WMP11 loads very slowly). I'd like to be able to know before I go to watch the movie if it's complete (without having to write down the size ahead of time and compare).
subslug

Post by subslug »

I've had the same issue as you had in your first post with a few disks.
Original Sin, Unbreakable and Coyote Ugly just to name a few, they all reach a point and just finish suddenly but, not completely.

I've tried ripping the same disks on different machines, one other box running the Linux client and still the same results.

It's obviously a DVD disk issue of some sort.
Running MakeMKV from a terminal doesn't give any sort of indication that somethings gone wrong so, it'll be hard to diagnose whatever causes it.

I may try Handbrake to see how it handles these disks, handbrake just takes so long. :? It's like watching paint dry.
spartanstew

Post by spartanstew »

Thanks for the reply slug. These are the discs that I've encountered this error with so far. I've tried ripping from the original disc, from back-up disc (previously made with Decrypter and Shrink - they play fine) and from the VTS files from Shrink. No go on them no matter how I do it. Some come close to finishing (i.e. 2.6GB instead of 3.0GB) and some barely get started (i.e. 64MB instead of 3.8GB):

Treasure Planet
Meet the Robinsons
Lion King 1.5
Peter Pan 2 - Return to Neverland
Beauty and the Beast
Snow White
Dumbo

All Disney titles, because I've been ripping all of my kids movies for whole house distribution.
subslug

Post by subslug »

Beauty and the Beast is only copying the previews from the disc. It must be some tricky format that Disney uses in their titles to confuse ripping software.

I have the same problem too with Snow White where it doesn't finish completely. The Snow White file doesn't appear to playback correctly either. I actually wonder now if any of the Disney movies files will playback, once I get some time I'll go back and see how they do on the WDTV.

Unbreakable, the movie, appears to have processed using Handbrake, the Handbrake files are compressed quite a bit which is fine but it takes at least 4 times longer. I still need to try playback of the file it outputs and see how the HDTV likes it.

We'll post back what I figure out.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

this is probably some DVD-specific issue. Thanks for letting know, we'll try to obtain one of the discs for testing. By the way, is the title length reported correct? I mean in "Title #0 was added (27 cell(s), 1:12:16)" does 1:12:16 sounds right or it is reduced length?
spartanstew

Post by spartanstew »

It seems right Mike.

Another thing that happened last night with a Disney disc: I was ripping Bolt. Everything seemed to go fine. No errors reported and the file completed succesfully. However, when I went to watch the movie, I noticed that the first 3 or 4 minutes of the movie aren't there. It just starts a few minutes into the movie, so obviously it dumped the first part of the movie for some reason.
Taddeusz

Post by Taddeusz »

I've had a similar problem with a few DVD's. It goes through like it's processing. The resulting file is the correct size but the file will not play in VLC or in Windows Media Player with Haali. It is somehow corrupted.

The movies I've had this problem with so far are:

Mallrats
Dogma
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I'm excited about MakeMKV. When it works properly it is a great one-step program to get DVD movies into an MKV without transcoding.