MakeMKV only works with AnyDVD?

Everything related to MakeMKV
setarip_old

Re: MakeMKV only works with AnyDVD?

Post by setarip_old »

@iso13

Naah, MakeMKV can now do essentially everything that AnyDVD HD can do, PLUS several things that AnyDVD HD can't do.

So, if someone hasn't purchased either yet, I'd strongly suggest they consider purchasing (ONLY) MakeMKV...
shinji

Post by shinji »

At this point I am finding that MakeMKV may not be able to handle Variable Framerate BluRay discs very well. Nine times out of ten it actually crashed on both the AACS encrypted and decrypted versions so it wasn't AACS that caused it. It always crashed on the main movie track trying to decode it when it did crash.

On that note I have yet to figure out a good way to migrate a variable framerate bluray to a fixed framerate or maintain it's variable run.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@shinji

Hi!

Are you saying this problem occurs:

when you use the "Backup" mode to make a FULL disc copy (either decrypted or encrypted)?

- or -

when you try to make an .MKV from an MakeMKV-created FULL disc copy (either decrypted or encrypted) that's on your hard drive?

Please be good enough to provide the titles/names and regions of the specific commercial, BluRay discs that have exhibited this behavior...
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

setarip_old wrote:@iso13

Naah, MakeMKV can now do essentially everything that AnyDVD HD can do, PLUS several things that AnyDVD HD can't do.
Not exactly, I think. MakeMKV's backup capability can't create an .iso (yet) can it? (without using another utility, I mean) This is a very handy thing that AnyDVDHD does because a common application is to dump whole BDs to ISO format so they can be easily remounted as virtual drives when needed so PowerDVD can play them. PowerDVD (at least my 7.3 version) can't play straight folder rips; it has to think it's a real disc.

Of course, we all know that MakeMKV does many things AnyDVD can't do. :-) It's just that for many of us there's no one product that does EVERYTHING. AnyDVDHD does enough to get me to pay for it. MakeMKV also does enough to get me to pay for it when the beta period is over.

Marc
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Marc_G

Hi!

I did say "essentially everything"...
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

setarip_old wrote:@Marc_G

Hi!

I did say "essentially everything"...
Fair enough. Point taken. :mrgreen:

And at the rate MakeMKV is evolving, pretty soon I'm guessing for me it will be the one solution I need. Right now it just misses making .iso backups and converting PGS forced subtitles to the ones that MPCHC can play, and I would call it done for my own specific needs. I'm really impressed with the advances recently in handling episodic content (TV series in particular). Nothing else out there can touch it for that purpose. The forced subtitle thing is a showstopper for me, though.

Marc
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Marc_G

With regard to .ISO image files, I'd suggest to you that "mike admin" "hears everything" ;>}

On the othyer hand, I see no reason for MakeMKV to be obligated to do anything special in handling PGS subpics. They'll be dealt with in some universal way by those who develop hardware and software players...
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

With regard to .ISO image files, I'd suggest to you that "mike admin" "hears everything" ;>}

On the othyer hand, I see no reason for MakeMKV to be obligated to do anything special in handling PGS subpics. They'll be dealt with in some universal way by those who develop hardware and software players...
Subtitles, particularly forced:

It's true MakeMKV isn't "obligated to do anything special" but let me put on my marketing hat for a moment (I've got a background in marketing software products, by the way, so I've seen the good, bad, and ugly from the vendor perspective that tempers my rampant consumerist view).

Customers (like me) want a complete solution to play the movie and see the forced subtitles. Right now, there's no good player (on the PC) that can play the .mkv output of MakeMKV and properly parse the PGS subtitles (correct me if I'm wrong, but VLC is way too buggy and MPCHC doesn't handle the PGS subtitles I think). So, as a consumer, I've got two options I'm aware of:

1. Use MakeMKV and then run additional utilities to create a converted file.
2. Use Another EAC3toGui to create an MKV with converted subtitles that can be easily played in one step.

The marketing guy in me has learned that while I may not be responsible for creating the complete solution, if I want to be successful, it behooves me to make my product mesh well with other parts of the solution. Option number two is a lot easier than option number 1. Like most other HTPC folks that work with bluray content, I've already got AnyDVDHD so that's not an obstacle.

In this case, that other part of the solution is MPC-HC and any other players that can handle the SRT subtitles in MKV containers. Who knows when a player will come along that will handle the PGS embedded subtitles? In the mean time, the best way to make MakeMKV part of a complete solution is to make sure it hands off well to the existing players.

So again, it comes down to a marketing decision about how well Mike wants MakeMKV to integrate into the existing other parts of the solution. If the PGS support in players comes through quickly, then it's no big deal. But as a consumer I've been waiting a year for it... and now generally use option #2 for BD movies because of the forced subtitle issue. I use MakeMKV for everything else.

Not trying to be a muckraker here... just explaining my position as a consumer in need of a solution and a marketing perspective behind why I think adding forced subtitle conversion is an important thing to do.

Marc
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Marc_G

I probably haven't expressed myself very clearly (not unusual ;>}) - The .MKVs created by MakeMKV already contain the PGS subpic streams. The problem lies with having them DISPLAY properly. Obviously, at least to me (Since I never have a humble opinion), DISPLAY can ONLY be addressed by the players that display them - and, very likely, in a consistent, universal manner/technique. Otherwise, we'll end up with myriad, incompatible methods for extraction and display...
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

I probably haven't expressed myself very clearly (not unusual ;>}) - The .MKVs created by MakeMKV already contain the PGS subpic streams. The problem lies with having them DISPLAY properly. Obviously, at least to me (Since I never have a humble opinion), DISPLAY can ONLY be addressed by the players that display them - and, very likely, in a consistent, universal manner/technique. Otherwise, we'll end up with myriad, incompatible methods for extraction and display...
Hi again,

You expressed yourself clearly. But I used my marketing powers to redefine the question.

We agree, MakeMKV can't do anything about the display end of theings. But, as a consumer, all I care about is I play my movie and when there's a non-english (or non-primary-language, whatever that language is) patch, pretty words come up to prevent me from feeling guilty about being essentially monolingual.

As a consumer, the difference between SRT and PGS and whatever other technical hoo-ha is involved, frankly I couldn't care less about it. I just want subtitles.

MakeMKV has entered a space where there is an incomplete solution at the end of the chain (players don't generally support PGS subtitles in MKV). So, as long as MakeMKV makes only PGS subtitles in the output, as a consumer I don't have a complete solution and I'm sad (or, I go elsewhere...). If MakeMKV had a checkbox to the effect of "convert subtitles to SRT" it would make it easy to me to have a complete solution. It shouldn't be looked at as compensating for slowly-developed players or whatever. It should be seen as a differentiating feature that exploits a known weakness downstream.

The key thing is for a product to define the space it's working in, then make sure that it is part of a complete solution for the customer. I bet 90% of the people who are HTPC-windows folks, who use BD, would prioritize things like subtitle conversion over AACS decryption, because they already own AnyDVDHD. As a user, and from a marketing perspective,
this is what differentiates MakeMKV (for PC, as I'm ignorant of other OS product spaces), in order of importance to what I consider a typical HTPC user:
-Far and away the easiest and least intimidating user interface
-Extremely fast processing of a BD to MKV... maybe 50% faster than the closest competitor
-Extremely good handling of episodic content-no one else is close!
-Same interface for DVDs and BDs. This is huge.
-Works natively with disc images
-Built in AACS decryption
-The recent adds like streaming etc.

Anyway, I'm pretty mainstream for an HTPC user, and that's how I see it. We can choose to disagree. In the end, I like MakeMKV and wish Mike all the best. I'll be buying it at the end of the beta!

Marc
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

But, as a consumer, all I care about is I play my movie and when there's a non-english (or non-primary-language, whatever that language is) patch, pretty words come up to prevent me from feeling guilty about being essentially monolingual.
I understand and appreciate your perspective - and I'd suggest to you that with the rapid growth of both the concept of HTPCs and the .MKV container, you (and everybody else, including me) will see this particular anomaly resolved in one fashion or another in the very near term.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@danielponte

Despite the fact (or, perhaps, because of it) that you didn't check with the knowledgable folks at the Doom9 Forum, I did.

In response to my/your question:
Does anyone know if the following error is indicative of a drive having its certificate revoked or, if not, what else it might be?

"Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' "

the following explanation was offered by "KenD00":
This message should occur if you try to perform AACS Auth on a disc that is not AACS protected. So either you tried to decrypt an unencrypted disc or it was an encrypted ISO (which was correctly detected as unencrypted because it doesn't contain all the information to be "legally" encrypted ).

BTW - Have you, as I suggested, tried Passkey? (As opposed to the statement by another member, Passkey does NOT have to "phone home" in order to make a full disc backup of BluRay discs)

And yet another question: Why are you selecting the "Open" function? If you start MakeMKV and then load the BluRay disc, doesn't MakeMKV AUTOMATICALLY start reading the disc?

jbelkin800

Post by jbelkin800 »

Blog Post - basically "normally" rippers can access:

http://www.takefiveaday.com/2018/06/28/ ... onverters/