ordinary DD stereo sound

Everything related to MakeMKV
rinus

ordinary DD stereo sound

Post by rinus »

Hi all of you,

First my compliments for MakeMKV.

I have many DVD's with life music and want to copy them to disk without loss of (sound) quality.
I want to play the songs in any order.
I therefore use MakeMKV to make the copy of the DVD and split out the chapters later using mkvmerge.

It is a lot of work to split out the songs with mkvmerge, so it would be a very nice option if MakeMKV would be able to split a DVD into chapters (one MKV file for each chapter) right away.

I also have some questions.

- MakeMKV nicely copies the Dolby 5.1 and DTS sound tracks.
\\\however, some of my DVD's only have simple (Dolby) stereo sound.
When I play the MKV file, there is no sound at all.
Is it not copied?

- Some DVD take an awfull long time to analyse.
Can you explain what the application is trying to do?

My compliments for the application.
mike admin

Re: ordinary DD stereo sound

Post by mike admin »

rinus wrote: - MakeMKV nicely copies the Dolby 5.1 and DTS sound tracks.
\\\however, some of my DVD's only have simple (Dolby) stereo sound.
When I play the MKV file, there is no sound at all.
Is it not copied?
MakeMKV should copy all streams that were selected before copy. In some cases when equivalent better stream is available 2/0 stream is de-selected by default, but it should never be de-selected if it is the only stream. Please try to play produced file with VLC player - it has good mkv support and should show all available tracks.
rinus wrote: - Some DVD take an awfull long time to analyse.
Can you explain what the application is trying to do?
Typically MakeMKV should tell what it is doing either in the log window or on the progress screen. There are two cases when opening DVD disk may take a while:
- When DVD region code does not match drive region code (data needs to be scanned to generate CSS keys)
- When opening multi-angle disks (video must be scanned and indexed)
rinus wrote: My compliments for the application.
Thank you.
rinus

Post by rinus »

Mike wrote:

MakeMKV should copy all streams that were selected before copy. In some cases when equivalent better stream is available 2/0 stream is de-selected by default, but it should never be de-selected if it is the only stream. Please try to play produced file with VLC player - it has good mkv support and should show all available tracks.

I have copied over 100 music DVD's. Again my compliments.
When it works everything is excellent: no loss in quality in either image or sound.

I noticed that 2/0 standard is de-selected. Excellent.

In about 10% of the cases I had problems though.

- when a dvd only has an old fashioned stereo sound channel (not dolby stereo, I have misinformed you), that is not copied. This only hold for very old recordings.
An example of this is e.g. Michael jackson, live in Bucharest, a dvd of the Carpenters, Neil Daimond, Beatles, The Band,.....
New DVD's but old recordings.
I have copied these DVD's with other applications. Now the stereo sound was copied, but the image was bad.
So, if you can fix this problem, it would be great. Probably you did not test it on these type of video's.

- I live in the Netherlands. Appearantly, the Dutch DVD's are protected very well or different than is internationally common.
The only international video that did not work was Evita (Madonna).

The MakeMKV applications stops with the message that it is too complicated.

Anyhow, once again: I love you aplication. It is fast, reliable and produces excellent results.

I can now play the songs on video in any order as you do with CD's.

- open request: the ability to store the DVD chapter by chapter.

Another question I hope somebody can help me with: how can you set the priority of windows media player to give priority to DTS instead of Dolby?

Thank, and greetings,

Rinus
propman

Post by propman »

hi,

I think it's software-player problem.
first, are you using a digital-sound-port ? as example SPDif ?
Then you don't needing "dts-encoding", only passthrough the sound dirctly to the port, and the A/V-Receiver is doing the rest.

In my mind, VLC is a scrap plaxer, because until the newest ver. he isn't able to use SPDif correctly.
You didn't hear Surroundsond with this player, only something like "stereo".
And I think, but don't know it correctly, the windows media player (XP) isn't able to play DVDs with dts.

KR
propman
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

To Rinus:

Rinus, sorry for not answering you for so long time!
when a dvd only has an old fashioned stereo sound channel (not dolby stereo, I have misinformed you), that is not copied. This only hold for very old recordings.
An example of this is e.g. Michael jackson, live in Bucharest, a dvd of the Carpenters, Neil Daimond, Beatles, The Band,.....
We understand the problem, there are two formats that are not supported- LPCM and MPEG Audio. We'd happily add them if we ever see that kind of dvds. If you could send me Ifo files from that discs to mike.chen82@googlemail.com - it would really help.

Thank you so much for the help!
forest-holm

Post by forest-holm »

Mike just a thought about the LPCM and MPEG audio on DVD's whilst I agree that most pressed DVD's i.e commercial ones dont use these audio formats, many DVD recorders especially the cheaper ones i.e like my Daewoo do. Granted the better ones like my Panasonics use 2 channel Dolby. Users may want to make MKv's of their own recordings..just a thought for the future...
tnor64

Post by tnor64 »

I was backing up a collection of Three Stooges short films and am glad I checked the sound before I got too far as I ran into this very problem. The DVD's have LPCM audio that wasn't recognized by MakeMKV and therefore there was no sound. If it is an easy fix, it'd be great if this was supported.