Thank you, plus a minor "bug"

Everything related to MakeMKV
thecross

Thank you, plus a minor "bug"

Post by thecross »

I purchased a license for MakeMKV roughly 5 years ago and this tool works nearly perfectly for my use case. I wanted to say thank you to the development team for this awesome tool.

The only ongoing "bug" I have experienced for quite some time (years) is an issue related to "contention" in Linux when attempting to utilize more than 1 instance of makemkvcon with more than 1 physical optical drive.

i.e. running the following commands, in separate consoles, logged in as the same user:
xxx@xxx:~$ makemkvcon info dev:/dev/sr0 -r | grep GB
then running the following command in the seperate console:
xxx@xxx:~$ makemkvcon info dev:/dev/sr1 -r | grep GB

The resulting behavior appears to be that both drives thrash and nothing gets accomplished.

Both drives will work fine if work is queued sequentially and "parallel" tasks are not attempted.

I am not aware of any workarounds to solve this.
Woodstock

Re: Thank you, plus a minor "bug"

Post by Woodstock »

The GUI includes a setting to have MakeMKV prompt when there are multiple drives for which one (or "all") to have the current instance manage. I don't remember seeing anything about doing that in the command line version....
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dfurrow

Post by dfurrow »

Response to an old post but I had the same contention issue last night using the 64bit version (vers ....10? App is at home). I thought it was because I had debugging enabled, and it did go away for the next set of discs, but came back for the next set. For the time that it worked I was creating MKV files, 1 was a BR and 1 was a Dvd.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

thecross wrote:The resulting behavior appears to be that both drives thrash and nothing gets accomplished.
Both drives will work fine if work is queued sequentially and "parallel" tasks are not attempted.
I am not aware of any workarounds to solve this.
This shouldn't be like this. In command line mode MakeMKV should only open a requested drive and do not touch others at all (other than generic inquiry data). This is a bug, ill investigate...