Very Slow Ripping and Lots of Crackle on Audio

Everything related to MakeMKV
Darren Heal

Very Slow Ripping and Lots of Crackle on Audio

Post by Darren Heal »

Running MakeMKV 1.10.2.

My ripping speed has dropped to 1.4 (yes one point four, not fourteen) times playback speed.

Also, on quite a few BDs ripped after upgrading from the previous version, I'm noticing a lot of the Blu-Rays I've ripped have a lot of very loud crackle on the center channel audio, which doesn't seem to be there on ones I ripped earlier.

I'm not sure if it's a drive fault, a software bug or something else.

PC is an i7 hex-core running Windows 10 with 32 gigabytes of RAM and I'm ripping to a 500 gigabyte SSD before transferring the files to my HTPC's RAID'd "spinning rust" hard disks. So I'm pretty certain it's not a downstream hardware bottleneck. The Blu-Ray drive is an LG WH16NS40 unit, supposedly capable of reading BDs at least 6x and maybe as high as 12x normal playback speed. THe firmware is up to date.

Anyone got any ideas before I junk the drive and fit a new one?
midnighwatcher

Re: Very Slow Ripping and Lots of Crackle on Audio

Post by midnighwatcher »

Did you figure this out by chance? I have a 16x drive that rips nowhere near that speed, not even 8x. What gives?
rivey

Post by rivey »

midnighwatcher wrote:Did you figure this out by chance? I have a 16x drive that rips nowhere near that speed, not even 8x. What gives?
What is the model number of your drive and the firmware version number?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Ripping speed will vary according to where on the disk you're ripping. On a long title, you can watch the speed climb as the head moves towards the outer portion of the disk, where the bits per rotation gets higher.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
midnighwatcher

Post by midnighwatcher »

rivey wrote:
midnighwatcher wrote:Did you figure this out by chance? I have a 16x drive that rips nowhere near that speed, not even 8x. What gives?
What is the model number of your drive and the firmware version number?
I have the LG WH16NS40 firmware 1.02.
midnighwatcher

Post by midnighwatcher »

Woodstock wrote:Ripping speed will vary according to where on the disk you're ripping. On a long title, you can watch the speed climb as the head moves towards the outer portion of the disk, where the bits per rotation gets higher.
Correct, however the fastest portion of the disc is nowhere near the purported 16x speed of the drive.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The point is that reported maximum read speeds are like EPA gas mileage figure - obtainable under the right conditions, but highly dependent upon circumstances.

My drive read speed varies with the content. Some disks never get over 4x. I've seen 20x (DVD) and 15x (BD) on others. Same drive, same program, same network to write to.

If you're locked at around 2-3x, you may have "quiet mode" turned on, which would require the LG software to turn off. If you regularly see 5x and above, it's not turned on and performance isn't limited for noise.
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

Darren Heal wrote:Running MakeMKV 1.10.2.

My ripping speed has dropped to 1.4 (yes one point four, not fourteen) times playback speed.
That version of MakeMKV is very old but I've never seen any change in read speeds for different versions. MakeMKV does decode the disk data and then write it to your drive which reduces the speed. I get 3-4x speeds with the program with 12, 14 and 16x drives. Has anything else changed on your system? Is this a new optical drive?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

jinx100 wrote:That version of MakeMKV is very old ...
It was current when this topic was started 16 months ago....
midnighwatcher

Post by midnighwatcher »

Woodstock wrote:If you're locked at around 2-3x, you may have "quiet mode" turned on, which would require the LG software to turn off. If you regularly see 5x and above, it's not turned on and performance isn't limited for noise.
My 16x drive maxes out at about 7.4x during the rip.

Edit: Just did a rip of a single-layer Blu-ray and it got up to 11.0x, still well short for a max 16x drive.

I'm beginning to think these drive makers are intentionally fudging their numbers for marketing purposes.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

They would NEVER do THAT!!!!! :wink:

But multilayer disks are slower to read in general.
RecessiveEnd5

Post by RecessiveEnd5 »

Idk why or if you all can help, but I am trying to rip a 2 hour movie (Beneath Hill 60) and it is writing at .1x speed if I am reading correctly. It says;
Source size: 5276.5 M
Read rate: 130.7 K/s [0.1x] and it sometimes goes to [0.0x]

For the entire estimated time it is telling me 9 hours. That is just absurd. I have an LG GP65NB60 disc reader and the version is PF00. Any help is greatly appreciated or even what reader you are using or references to other good ones works as well, must be external drives though. Thank you
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That slow would generally mean the drive is having to do a lot of retries to read the disk.

Any time I see less than 1.0x, I clean the disk in question.
RecessiveEnd5

Post by RecessiveEnd5 »

The disc is clean though, that's the thing. I tried that as my first thought