HD-DVD woes

Everything related to MakeMKV
BuckoA51

HD-DVD woes

Post by BuckoA51 »

Hi, so I'm trying to rip my small HD-DVD collection so I can finally put the player and the discs into storage and save some space. However, only one of my discs (Blade Runner final cut) has successfully ripped so far. I've tried the following titles using the USB HD-DVD drive that was designed for the Xbox 360.

Happy Feet (HDY14096)
Shaun of the Dead (HD DVD 825 189 7 11)
V For Vendetta (HD81030)

All European releases and they all do roughly the same thing. MakeMKV gets as far as "Processing titles" then just sits there, time constantly ticking up, progress bar not moving. The HD-DVD drive spins right down, I can even eject the HD-DVD without the drive or Windows complaining at all.

Here's the log from Shaun of the Dead:-

MakeMKV v1.10.4 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\Bucko/MakeMKV_log_1.txt
Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining
DEBUG: Code 0 at 0N/mOA"fqdr\KuIVl:29393953
Title #DELOGO.EVO has length of 13 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #BLACK.EVO has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #INTRO_MAIN.EVO has length of 65 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #MAIN_LOOP.EVO has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #SCREENSAVER.EVO has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #FUN_DEAD.EVO has length of 65 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #NINE_LIVES.EVO has length of 86 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #MARRIED.EVO has length of 91 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #WOULD_BE.EVO has length of 35 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #STORYBOARD.EVO has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #UNILOGO.EVO has length of 32 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped

I've also tried two different PCs, both running Windows 10, same thing happens on both.

Any ideas anyone?
Woodstock

Re: HD-DVD woes

Post by Woodstock »

If the same drive gives the same response on different machines and multiple disks, it makes the drive the likeliest suspect in the problem.

Have you dusted the drive's interior recently (air duster)? It is possible that it has dirt interfering with movement, although it SHOULD be reporting seek errors if that occurred.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I don't have an air duster but I can tell you the movies play perfectly fine when I hook the drive back up to the 360. No stuttering or anything.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Just to add I was able to file copy every file from my HD-DVD to the computers hard drive with no errors, so that has to be a bug in MakeMKV right?

I also tried Windows 7 PC, same behaviour.

After copying the files to the hard drive I tried doing a "File->Open Files" on the files that copied but it just came back "Failed to open disc".
ricer23

Post by ricer23 »

Hi, I have the same exact issue, but I've discovered it only happens on titles with a lot of special features. Any discs that just contain the movie rip just fine.
drjaymez

Post by drjaymez »

Same issue here running linux. I unfortunately have to re-rip all my HD-DVDs (don't underestimate time cost when determining your backup strategy kids). Not sure what I'm going to do to get these ripped now.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Another thread on this discussion said that 1.9.9 works still - /download/old to pick up a copy.

However, if you can tell what version of MakeMKV it STOPPED working with, Mike can probably use that information to determine WHAT change broke it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Ah I was going to dust of my Linux VM and try that, won't bother now :)
drjaymez

Post by drjaymez »

Woodstock wrote:Another thread on this discussion said that 1.9.9 works still - http://makemkv.com/download/old to pick up a copy.
I was just going to say I just installed 1.9.7 in a windows VM and it is working fine. I've only got about 56 HDDVDs so once I get them re-ripped it won't matter. Wish I had time to troubleshoot the individual versions, but I don't. I did an HDDVD relatively recently so it couldn't have been that many versions ago that it broke.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

1.9.9 is working for me too.. that's one way to get people to buy a key :lol: (kidding kidding, this software is easily worth it).
davidahn

Post by davidahn »

1.9.9 and 1.9.10 not working for me on the HD-DVDs that have failed with 1.12.0. I'm cutting my losses. :)
falloutphil

Post by falloutphil »

Just just to add my experience after getting such good advice on a range of subjects from this forum!

Out of 28 HD-DVDs bought new (UK) and kept in good condition for the last decade or so.

Only 6 were successfully read on MakeMKV version 1.15.1.

A further 19 were successful read by 1.9.9, where 1.15.1 failed.

3 failed on both versions - one of which was in poor condition, the other 2 seem to have been read failures despite being in good condition.

So there must be a change(s) to the source between 1.9.9 and 1.15.1 that have caused issues specifically to the majority of (but not all) HD-DVDs.

I have almost entirely positive experiences using other media on 1.15.1, so the issue is specific to HD-DVDs.

A few other observations:
Most failures in 1.15.1 occurred on initial read of the disc, before selecting the streams to save.
Read speed on 1.9.9 is often very slow - sometime as slow as x0.3, but it does work.

I'm using an XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive.
1.15.1 was run on Mac OS 10.15.4 on an old-ish Mac Mini.
Because 1.9.9 build cannot be run on Catalina - 1.9.9 was build from source on Ubuntu 18.04 on a Dell Laptop - so it's not a 100% exact comparison given different underlying OS and machines. It would be easy enough to build 1.15.1 from source on 18.04 to rule out the hardware and OS - normally I'd do this but I don't want to mess with my setup now that it works!