A few questions, mainly purchase currency

Everything related to MakeMKV
Princess

A few questions, mainly purchase currency

Post by Princess »

Hi~

After being fed up with AnyDVD I guess it's time to delve into MakeMKV (I used those beta keys for too long now). Also Redfox wants 109 EUR, one hundred nine. That's steep, yes it is. To make it worse I had times when AnyDVD failed or wanted to contact it's frigging database while MakeMKV decrypted like a peach on its own (and not a single time it failed). That's value. But I have a few issues:

1) Not really an issue: Why is the buying link so hidden? It's not seen from the home or download pages or the menu on the left. I found the link in the forums (just replace download for buy: /buy/)

2) I don't see an option to change currency. The price is shown in my local currency and that doesn't cut it. My local currency is too unstable (3rd world country) and keeps changing all the time, no site or buying platform gets it accurately. Also any international purchase with my card will be charged to me in USD (everything is handled in USD over here). So I need to see the price in USD. I entered the site via a USA proxy and the price is displayed as 50 USD (when show with my local currency it's like 10 USD off). I'm wary of entering my CC data through a random proxy. How do I switch currencies?

3) Are there plans to implement the MakeMKV decrypting engine a la AnyDVD? That is, having the program in the background and decrypting on the fly when a disk is inserted. As I said, Makemkv succeed with a few discs where AnyDVD failed (at least with past versions), adding a feature like this would make the program much more versatile. Also sometimes I prefer to remux directly with mkvtoolnix (so I can add tracks, etc), on the fly decrypting would avoid the intermediate step of making an ISO.

4) Is MakeMKV updated as soon as new AACS versions come? Not that I buy the lastest releases on day 1, so it isn't really a problem if it takes a while. Just asking.

Edit:

2) Forget it. Once I entered my data and proceeded it took me to the next page where it displayed the price as 50 USD along with a more accurate figure in my local currency. I proceeded with me CC and:

Thank you for your purchase on http://www.makemkv.com.
You will find below the information for order xxxxxx from 2017-09-29.
MakeMKV - Qty: 1

Bought it while ripping a disk on the last day of the beta key. Love for all <3
Woodstock

Re: A few questions, mainly purchase currency

Post by Woodstock »

The issue of currency comes up a couple of times a year - and not just because of instabilities.

Mike said that he told Avangate "I want USD50 net for it", and Avangate adjusts the local currency so that Mike gets USD50 after conversion rates and fees.

As for trust... I used PayPal when I registered, but that option went away because PayPal decided all tools like MakeMKV (and AnyDVD, and ... ) are "piracy tools", and therefore ineligible for PayPal services. Which is stupid, because you can use PP to buy already-pirated disks, and most users are ripping disks they own.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging