Won't open .iso file

Everything related to MakeMKV
TheFreeMan

Won't open .iso file

Post by TheFreeMan »

I have a .ISO file of a TV show that I'd like to rip into individual episodes, however MakeMKV refuses to open the file stating only, "Failed to open disc".

I can open the ISO in VLC & play it, though I don't get any menus, but I'm not sure VLC supports DVD menus.

Any suggestions or tips on converting this directly, or will I have to burn it to a disc first, then re-rip that?

Thanks,
FreeMan
Woodstock

Re: Won't open .iso file

Post by Woodstock »

VLC does support DVD menus.

If MakeMKV is saying it cannot open the disk, there may be something wrong with the ISO's structure. As a test, I just opened a DVD ISO I had here, and MakeMKV opened it just fine.

Debug logging should be enabled, and please post the log here, in a reply (don't try to do it as an attachment, won't work).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
TheFreeMan

Post by TheFreeMan »

Thanks, Woodstock.

This is all I get in the debug log:

Code: Select all

Debug log started at Sun Aug 17 04:33:39 2014 , written by MakeMKV v1.8.11 win(x64-release)
Using 524544KB for read cache.
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.8.11 win(x64-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\Brett/MakeMKV_log.txt
005010:0000 Failed to open disc
Application exited at Sun Aug 17 04:34:26 2014
Seems fairly unhelpful, but maybe it means something more to you?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That log is similar to what you get when the file you're trying to open doesn't exist, or isn't accessible to MakeMKV.

That could happen if Windows had mounted the ISO as a virtual drive, but that is not something that "accidentally" happens, so that is unlikely.

Are you typing in the file name, or selecting it from the File->Open files dialog box?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
TheFreeMan

Post by TheFreeMan »

I paste in the file path to get to the right directory, then double click the file name to open.

This is the codec info from VLC, don't know if that will help any:

Code: Select all

Stream 0
  Type: Video
  Codec: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)
Stream 1
  Type: Video
  Codec: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)
  Resolution: 720x576
  Frame rate: 25
  Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV
Stream 2
  Type: Subtitle
  Codec: DVD Subtitles (spu )
Stream 3
  Type: Audio
  Codec: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52 )
  Channels: Stereo
  Sample rate: 48000 Hz
  Bitrate: 192 kb/s
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

TheFreeMan wrote:I have a .ISO file of a TV show that I'd like to rip into individual episodes, however MakeMKV refuses to open the file stating only, "Failed to open disc".

I can open the ISO in VLC & play it, though I don't get any menus, but I'm not sure VLC supports DVD menus.

Any suggestions or tips on converting this directly, or will I have to burn it to a disc first, then re-rip that?

Thanks,
FreeMan
Use DVDShrink to open the ISO and rewrite it to a new ISO. You can also try mounting the ISO and reripping with IMGBurn. If those fail, then you have probably have a flawed rip in the first place.
NickJ

Post by NickJ »

I find when I have this problem, the best measure to take (based on shows I've recorded on DVD that I want to copy to hard disk), if say, a program like "MakeMKV" isn't opening the ISO file, is to use a program such as Winzip or Winrar and to extract the content of the ISO that way (because an ISO is an archive file as well). You can then gain access to the VOB files. The VOB files will be split into unhelpful sections but you can merge them with a program such as MKVToolnix. After that, if you want to split the merged MKV file into smaller relevant files, you can use a video editing program.

I only know all of this because of the problems I've had to get around for this specific type of problem. I've quite a few shows I recorded on video tape, copied them over to DVD when that finally became an option, then in more recent years copied that over to MKV format. I make a copy of the ISO file and most of the time, MakeMKV is brilliant. However, when I run across this specific problem (and I've tried DVD Shrink and other programs that didn't do the trick).. I use good old Winrar/Winzip.

I hope this helps.