MakeMKV Crashing

Everything related to MakeMKV
Weatherlight

MakeMKV Crashing

Post by Weatherlight »

I had a recent power outage while running MakeMKV. Since then I have not been able to get the program to work even after multiple reinstall attempts.

When I select View > Preferences I receive a "Fatal error occurred, program will now exit".
This also occurs when opening a disc, I will receive an Operation successfully completed in the message window followed by "Fatal error occurred, program will now exit" and the application closes

Any ideas on how to resolve?

Code: Select all

Debug log started at Wed Nov 08 05:00:59 2017 , written by MakeMKV v1.10.7 win(x64-release)
Using 524544KB for read cache.
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.10.7 win(x64-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\peter/MakeMKV_log.txt
csf9 me=1 ma=0
csf7
Application exited at Wed Nov 08 05:01:40 2017
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV Crashing

Post by Woodstock »

When you reinstall, are you letting MakeMKV remove the original install? If not, it might be being denied permission to overwrite a damaged file.

If you installed MakeMKV as an administrator, the reinstall needs to be done with the same privileges.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Weatherlight

Post by Weatherlight »

I tried:
  • uninstall from control panel, reinstall
  • uninstall from control panel, run as admin reinstall
  • overinstall via run as admin
  • uninstall from control panel, install previous version
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If it's crashing, there SHOULD be a log entry in the Windows Event Viewer that will give more details as to what module blew up. Is there?

The uninstall as part of the install should be a dialog box that pops up warning that there is a version already installed, and ask if you want to uninstall it. That should be answered with "ok to uninstall", then wait for that to complete before installing.

Alternatively, you can install to a different directory, and then run from there. If it still crashes, there is probably something in Windows itself that is crashing (which is why you should check the event viewer).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Weatherlight

Post by Weatherlight »

Originally I was noting a SideBySide error in the application log, but that was related to Microsoft Office. There is nothing else that I can see in the logs from the times of the application crashing.
Weatherlight

Post by Weatherlight »

So I gave up and reinstalled windows. Works now.
kikkoman

Post by kikkoman »

Weatherlight wrote:I had a recent power outage while running MakeMKV. Since then I have not been able to get the program to work even after multiple reinstall attempts.

When I select View > Preferences I receive a "Fatal error occurred, program will now exit".
This also occurs when opening a disc, I will receive an Operation successfully completed in the message window followed by "Fatal error occurred, program will now exit" and the application closes

Any ideas on how to resolve?
I ran into the same error when opening a disk and also the program hangs when trying to go to View > Preferences. I didn't have the logs enabled so couldn't even get that far. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and restarting the PC but still no go.

Then I recall something similar awhile back, and noticed that when I just tried to navigate to my NAS from that PC, Windows Explorer would just hang. So to fix the issue for me, I just had to reboot my NAS and then my PC was able to connect to the mapped drive. From there MakeMKV worked again...WOO HOO! And now that I think about it, I had a power outage last week but didn't use MakeMKV since then.

So hopefully this helps someone else so that there is no need to reinstall Windows.