Extract VIDEO_TS files?(not converting MKV)

Everything related to MakeMKV
Otakadelic

Extract VIDEO_TS files?(not converting MKV)

Post by Otakadelic »

Hi, thanks for the great software.
It works fine in my environment and converting MKV files is very nice.
However, sometimes I want to edit movie clip and wondering if there are any way to extract VIDEO_TS files, not converting MKV files. (or there are anyway to edit MKV files???)
Thanks again for the great software!

Otakadelic
Woodstock

Re: Extract VIDEO_TS files?(not converting MKV)

Post by Woodstock »

For Bluray, you can do a "backup", with optional decryption of the files.

Unfortunately, there is no such equivalent for DVD, which is what you're looking for; You want the VOB files.

As for using MKV files as source to editing programs, there are a number of ways to do that. The tools in the mkvtoolnix set (Google will find it) will let you extract the individual tracks from MKV files, which may be enough for your purposes, depending upon your editing software. And some editor packages will accept MKV as an input format.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Otakadelic

Re: Extract VIDEO_TS files?(not converting MKV)

Post by Otakadelic »

Woodstock wrote:For Bluray, you can do a "backup", with optional decryption of the files.

Unfortunately, there is no such equivalent for DVD, which is what you're looking for; You want the VOB files.

As for using MKV files as source to editing programs, there are a number of ways to do that. The tools in the mkvtoolnix set (Google will find it) will let you extract the individual tracks from MKV files, which may be enough for your purposes, depending upon your editing software. And some editor packages will accept MKV as an input format.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I tried mkvtoolnix and worked damn fine!