First Time User Needs Help Extracting Audio

Everything related to MakeMKV
PaulBoy

First Time User Needs Help Extracting Audio

Post by PaulBoy »

My first post on the forum, so please be gentle! - I read the FAQs & scanned the different forums, but couldn't really see anything to help me? - So apologies if this is in the wrong place?
What I am trying to do is make usable FLAC files from my collection of music / concert DVD's & Blu-ray's - DVD's were quite simple to extract the audio files from in FLAC (using an extractor program), but the Blu-ray's I have all are protected with BD+ & I was told MakeMKV was the solution? - Backup the Blu-ray with MakeMKV & extract the audio from the backup?
Anyway, I did a backup of a complete Blu-ray & then opened the backup to extract the audio - All I got was a message saying the Blu-ray was protected with BD+ (?)
However, despite what the MakeMKV "Online Support" page said, when I insert a Blu-ray & start MakeMKV, I do not see a tree structure of the discs content - My only option is to "Backup" and the system starts - I also tried a DVD & again there was no tree structure?

Any help or suggestions where I am going wrong would be much appreciated
Paul
Woodstock

Re: First Time User Needs Help Extracting Audio

Post by Woodstock »

My only option is to "Backup"
So, you did not click on the BIG ICON with the disk on it, that moved when you had the drive open and inserted the disk?

MakeMKV does have a FLAC profile you can select when you have the advanced options turned on. But the backup option doesn't really offer that, since it's intended to back up the disk. Opening the disk will allow for changing options.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
PaulBoy

Post by PaulBoy »

Thank you @Woodstock - I will try what you suggest ... Paul
PaulBoy

Post by PaulBoy »

You are correct, I did not realise I had to click on the Big Disc Icon (though it was obvious after you told me!) - So that gives me the tree & list of files etc - I still don't know which files to select to achieve what I want (eventually extracting the audio files in flac?) - I also couldn't find advanced options you mentioned? - Sorry for all the basic mistakes & questions, but it really is trial & error in the absence of a user manual?
Paul
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Preferences (the wrench icon if you want), General tab, turn on "Expert mode". That will enable to Advanced tab, which will allow you to select the Default profile as "FLAC".

With FLAC selected, when you next open a disk, you should see (upon expansion of the title to view the tracks) things like "TrueHD->FLAC Surround 5.1 English" selected (using a sample I have here), also the original track below it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging