Problem ripping Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track from bluray disks

Everything related to MakeMKV
rcoltrane

Problem ripping Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track from bluray disks

Post by rcoltrane »

I've got a bluray drive this week for my desktop and I started ripping my bluray collection for backup purposes, so I want all these rips to have the maximum possible quality when compared to the original disks. Disk space is not a problem here as well.

BUT, when I rip disks which contains more than 5.1 channels (Star Trek The Motion Picture being one of them, since it has a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 channels track) it downgrades the audio track to 5.1 channels. Why is that happening?

I've searched all the options in the preferences panel but could not find an option to rip the track untouched. Is it possible to rip the track at TrueHD 7.1 channels with MakeMKV? If yes please, give me the necessary steps here. Thanks!
preserve

Re: Problem ripping Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track from bluray disks

Post by preserve »

Are you running MakeMKV in Expert mode? Preferences -> General.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
rcoltrane

Post by rcoltrane »

Yes, I am. But it only opens an additional tab with some predefined profiles and nothing else.
preserve

Post by preserve »

What exactly do you mean by "downgrades" - do you mean that you've selected the 7.1 track and MakeMKV isn't ripping it?

If you only want the 7.1, are you deselecting the 5.1 core? If you have the 5.1 core selected, MakeMKV will rip both the full 7.1 as well as the 5.1 core as separate audio tracks.

Do you mean that during playback, your playback method isn't using the 7.1?
rcoltrane

Post by rcoltrane »

No, what I mean is, when I open my ripped mkv bluray movie file within Media Player Classic and go to select the desired audio track to play it, it lists all available tracks that are stored in my .mkv file. ANd there I can only see 5.1 channels stored whereas a 7.1 TrueHD tracvk should be available as well, since it is in the original disk. So I guess that MakeMKV did a downgrade to the main track, ripping it in 5.1 only instead of 7.1.

**EDIT**: What a lazy guy I am... I didn't open the '>' button on the left side of the title track and by doing it this time, I saw that for some reason, the 7.1 TrueHD track was not selected by default. Now I will rip it again and it may work!

Anyway, thanks for your support on it!
Last edited by rcoltrane on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
preserve

Post by preserve »

MakeMKV does not convert or "downgrade" anything - it rips the tracks you've selected without touching them and muxes them into the MKV container.

Have a look at the screenshot in this post, this is what you should be seeing as far as selecting the 7.1 audio on the disc for ripping: http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?p=58793#p58793
rcoltrane

Post by rcoltrane »

See my previous answer, I found the solution :D