application failed to initialize

Everything related to MakeMKV
atc98092

application failed to initialize

Post by atc98092 »

I realize this has been discussed previously, but the past resolutions haven't helped. Windows 10 version 1909. MakeMKV has worked fine on this computer basically forever. Had version 1.15.1 installed and successfully used within the last couple of weeks. Tried to start the program today, and encountered the error message above. I thought, OK, just reinstall the program. No change. I tried stepping back to 1.15.0, still no change. Logged out of the computer and back in, no change. Uninstalled completely and installed 1.14.7, same error. The only step I haven't performed is a PC reboot, as this is my media server and it's currently streaming something for the wife. After she's asleep I'll switch her to the backup media server and give a reboot a try.

In the meantime, has anyone identified something recent that might have caused this? I have not updated to the latest version of Windows 10, so I wouldn't expect that to be it. I have the Windows Firewall disabled for the private network.
Serviio media server with 18 TB of space. Over 1500 movies and 2000 TV episodes. Samsung JU7100 TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Roku 4, Ultra and two Roku TVs (one 4K) on a gigabit network.
atc98092

Re: application failed to initialize

Post by atc98092 »

Update: removal, reboot and reinstall did not resolve the issue. Program will not run at all.
Serviio media server with 18 TB of space. Over 1500 movies and 2000 TV episodes. Samsung JU7100 TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Roku 4, Ultra and two Roku TVs (one 4K) on a gigabit network.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"Will not run at all" is a pretty broad description. Normally, when something fails like this, there will be an event viewer record of why Windows shut it down.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
atc98092

Post by atc98092 »

Agreed, I should be more descriptive. When attempting to start the program, a MakeMKV BETA popup message appears the the message in the subject line.
Capture.GIF
Capture.GIF (6.7 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
When you click OK the popup closes, and MakeMKV does not run.

There are no entries I can find in the Windows Event Viewer that relates to this. I find no log in the MakeMKV install folder. I looked within the user folder, and while I found a couple of MakeMKV folders I see nothing written into any of them in a long time.
atc98092

Post by atc98092 »

OK, for no known reason, it's working again. While the computer has been rebooted a couple of times, there were no software updates or changes of any kind. It's ripping a 4K Star Wars movie now, which will take another 1:18 to finish, so won't test the rip tonight.