Purchase Benefits?

Everything related to MakeMKV
scanfff

Purchase Benefits?

Post by scanfff »

Hi,

I'm a big fan of makeMKV!!

I have noticed that on occasion the website is down and MakeMKV will not work. I'm happy to pay for it but wondered if the website down issue affects paid versions?

Thanks,
Scanfff
Woodstock

Re: Purchase Benefits?

Post by Woodstock »

"Website down" doesn't affect either paid or beta, since the only check for the website is to verify that you're running the latest version. And you can shut that down in Preferences->General.

But, you no longer have to dread the end of every other month, when the beta key expires, or have to reinsert the beta key to turn back on the "expires in 30 days" Blu-ray features.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
scanfff

Post by scanfff »

jkauff

Post by jkauff »

It also rewards the devs for their fine work so far, and helps support continued development.

In other words, it's the right thing to do!
kwc813

Post by kwc813 »

I'm not a noob at this as I've been building custom PC's for over 30 years now BUT.....I've downloaded the software, after 10-15 mins of getting used to it, it works like a charm on everything I throw at it (includes kitchen sink), so I want it. The option to buy is not even on the webpage, only in the program under "Help"? Security issue looms dead ahead depending on int'l server. And, this is in "beta" and licenses are being sold, and at $50 apiece?? I'd spend $25 or $30 even for this in beta, but not $50. And from about an hour looking through the forums this monthly key can't be counted on to be on time or to last until the end of the given month. That shows less attentiveness than I'm comfortable with. I'll keep this software in mind, but now I'm off to find something else as well, that's routinely supported and not changing soooo much it requires a monthly key in beta. Cost is NOT a concern, but ease of use, compatibility, and knowing it's supported IS. I love this, but I can't rationalize it.
preserve

Post by preserve »

MakeMKV has been frequently updated since at least 2011: /download/history.html

Part of the beta key requirement is just to help people remember to actually download the new versions since there are always important updates such as new versions of AACS.

MakeMKV is second-to-none in terms of capabilities, support and updates.

You don't want to purchase it, that's fine. But you don't need to make a post to try to rationalize or justify why you're not purchasing it.

I used it for maybe a couple years for free and eventually decided to purchase it a while back because honestly $50 is cheap for all the value I've had from MakeMKV over the years. Not to mention that UHD support is already alive and well and will only improve.

It's really NOT a beta in any sense of that word. It's not at all unfinished or unstable or anything like that. Pretty much any free version of good software has restrictions on what you can actually do with it, such as time limits that permanently expire (cannot be extended), some functions locked out, some features limited or watermarked, etc. Not MakeMKV. I'm sure tons of people take advantage of Mike's generosity with this so-called (endless) "beta."

I encourage anyone who uses this software not to take it for granted, but to support Mike and its continued, ongoing development by purchasing a registration key.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

kwc813 wrote: I'd spend $25 or $30 even for this in beta, but not $50.
kwc813 wrote:Cost is NOT a concern, but ease of use, compatibility, and knowing it's supported IS.
I rest my case...
Plus what preserve said. Some people are just unbelievable.
TheTerrorBeyond

Post by TheTerrorBeyond »

Purchasing the program is the moral/ethical thing to do if you intend to use the software regularly.

Even though this is called a "beta," this is a fully-functional piece of software that is consistently updated. The developer deserves our support if we use the product he has spent so much time and energy on during ongoing development. Being able to put your Blu-ray and DVD collection onto your media server is well worth the price of the software, and your payment helps fund ongoing updates and feature set improvements.

It costs less than a game for XBOX, and it is much more useful.
Media Server: i7-6800k (6-core processor), 32GB RAM, MSI Carbon Pro board, SAS RAID, liquid cooling, NVIDIA 1080SC, (6) 10TB Barracuda Pro, (4)8TB Barracuda Pro, (1) 6TB Barracuda, (1) 4TB Barracuda, (1) Toshiba 512GB SSD, (1) Intel 256GB Intel M.2 SSD.