Smaller file but higher bitrate?

Everything related to MakeMKV
rugbyguy9

Smaller file but higher bitrate?

Post by rugbyguy9 »

Hi,

I was going through my movies and noticed that some smaller GB movies had a higher bitrate than larger GB movies how is that possible?

For the below examples I remuxed the movies from originals and I've removed all audio except for truehd and the 5.1 dolby soundtracks. Also subtitles were also removed except for English.

John Wick
1:41:11
HVEC h265 Main 10@L5.1
TrueHD 7.1, AC3 5.1
44.9 GB
63645 kbps

Starship Trooper
2:09:28
HVEC h265 Main 10@L5.1
TrueHD 7.1, AC3 5.1
51.1 GB
56587 kbps
preserve

Re: Smaller file but higher bitrate?

Post by preserve »

One movie is half an hour longer than the other, and that's why it has a larger file size even though it has a lower bitrate.

The shorter movie, because it's not as long they could push the bitrate to get higher video quality but still within a certain amount of GB.

The longer movie, they didn't use as high a bitrate presumably to get the length of the movie to fit within a certain amount of GB.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
rugbyguy9

Re: Smaller file but higher bitrate?

Post by rugbyguy9 »

preserve wrote:One movie is half an hour longer than the other, and that's why it has a larger file size even though it has a lower bitrate.

The shorter movie, because it's not as long they could push the bitrate to get higher video quality but still within a certain amount of GB.

The longer movie, they didn't use as high a bitrate presumably to get the length of the movie to fit within a certain amount of GB.

lol...im such a noob. thanks for clearing that up :lol: