Could Java ever *enable* copy protection?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Fortissimo

Could Java ever *enable* copy protection?

Post by Fortissimo »

A month ago or so, I ripped Good Time (2017). Today I started watching the digital backup, and around 7:36 into the movie I get this:
Dear customer,

The disc you've inserted cannot be played due to copyright restrictions. Please visit [blah blah] to purchase a genuine copy.

If you try to play back an original disc on your computer and experience a "copy detected" message, please ensure that no ripping or copying tool is actively running while performing the playback.
This stays on screen for a minute or so while audio still plays, and then the movie continues playing normally.

Perhaps coincidentally (?), again around a month ago or so, I installed Java so that MakeMKV could identify main titles when playlist obfuscation occurs.

I've never seen a "Dear customer" message appear in any movie I've ever ripped until now, and it has me wondering if it's possible that the presence of Java could also backfire and cause code to run on a PC that wouldn't normally run on a real Blu-Ray player, confusing the ripping process.

I'd be interested in other theories too!
Woodstock

Re: Could Java ever *enable* copy protection?

Post by Woodstock »

Most of the copy protection on BD and UHD are Java-based, so your BD-capable player is already using Java.

Enabling Java support in MakeMKV is allowing it to remove those copy protections.

HOWEVER, the timing suggests you're getting hit with Cinavia... What playback software or hardware are you using?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Fortissimo

Re: Could Java ever *enable* copy protection?

Post by Fortissimo »

I used Windows Media Player to play the MP4. I double-checked with VLC - same problem. The message is burned into the movie. Perhaps I chose the wrong playlist, although that would be ironic considering I've never chosen the wrong Blu-Ray playlist before. (Before, I'd Google "[movie name] Makemkv" and every time I'd find a thread about which track to choose for playlist obfuscation. Now, one would think this "perfect record" I have would be further improved by having Java installed...)

Thanks!