I'm new here, wanted to say hey!

Everything related to MakeMKV
alexcoluzzi32

I'm new here, wanted to say hey!

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

Subject Says It All.

I'm stoked to be using makeMKV.

Just so I don't have to bother everyone with questions that have already been answered, is there a pretty comprehensive user guide available?

Wanted to make sure I've got the basic steps down. My goal is to backup my commercial blu ray collection in the highest quality possible (both audio and video), and then reassemble the files into one file, preferably a .mov, if possible.

Thank you,

Alex
Woodstock

Re: I'm new here, wanted to say hey!

Post by Woodstock »

I consider MakeMKV to be a "play to learn" program. Yes, there is help available, but it can confuse some people.

You really can't hurt anything by trying different things. I do recommend turning on Expert Mode, though. Sit down with a few disks (DVD and BD) and play with the different options.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

Last edited by alexcoluzzi32 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Backup vs. MKV will depend on how much you LOVE having full access to all the menus and "special features", vs. being bored with the "special features" after watching them once, and only really want to have the main feature available for viewing instantly.

Being the way I am, I only use backup as a test when people ask questions about it here, or if it is part of debugging a ripping problem. By going to MKV files, I can also run them through handbrake to make them MUCH smaller, and eliminate subtitle and language tracks I have no interest in.

As for ripping UHD, that does not require a high-horsepower computer. Playback... different story.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging