Redbox Discs And Why???

Everything related to MakeMKV
rivey

Redbox Discs And Why???

Post by rivey »

I am curious why people continue to ask for the correct playlist for Redbox discs? This says to me that people don't want to invest in the cost of buying the movie, but they want to be able to watch the movie whenever they want and not to have to invest in buying the movie. This sounds like piracy to me.

I would like to see comments from people who rent movies and then rip them instead of buying the disc.

I also wonder if these are the same people that won't pay for a registration code for MakeMKV?

I for one rip discs for the convenience of watching them in any room in the house and not have to worry about the disc. When I buy a disc, it is ripped and then stored in a box with all the others in the garage. This also means that the disc will not get destroyed. I have seen the condition of the discs that my 6 year old granddaughter has. They are very dirty and many are scratched. At some point they will be unplayable. I see many benefits to ripping discs but that only when I pay for them up front.

I read when post where the person wanted to rip a Redbox disc so they can watch it in there home theater. Most theater systems have blu-ray players in them so how does this apply. You can buy a blu-ray player for well under a hundred dollars.

I guess that I want to know why people don't want to spend the money to buy a disc even though they want to watch the movie at there convenience and are also not willing to pay for the program that allows them to do this. Most of the other programs that allow us to rip out discs must be paid for to work. I just want to understand the logic.

Bob Ivey
jonghotti

Re: Redbox Discs And Why???

Post by jonghotti »

No replies to this one eh? I figured it would be crickets. I wish the 4K UHD blu rays were a tad less expensive, but considering all you get in one package I've no problem shelling out twenty bucks to own one.

These triple layer discs are definitely the most finicky media I've dealt with, and I used to tape shows on DAT. I buy a new movie first thing that's going down is it's getting backed up and put away. Then let the full resolution file viewing commence :)
rivey

Post by rivey »

jonghotti wrote:No replies to this one eh? I figured it would be crickets. I wish the 4K UHD blu rays were a tad less expensive, but considering all you get in one package I've no problem shelling out twenty bucks to own one.

These triple layer discs are definitely the most finicky media I've dealt with, and I used to tape shows on DAT. I buy a new movie first thing that's going down is it's getting backed up and put away. Then let the full resolution file viewing commence :)
I wasn't surprised that there were no responses either. To me, renting a disc and then ripping is just another for of stealing since the rentals usually have a specific time frame so to rip it, the person is taking unfair advantage. I am like you in that I buy my movies and TV shows and immediately rip them and then store them in the garage.

I do wish someone would actually have the guts to answer my question. I guess that when people are gaming the system they don't want to be seen as they are.

Anyone willing to say why they are doing it? Didn't think so.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

rivey wrote:
jonghotti wrote:No replies to this one eh? I figured it would be crickets. I wish the 4K UHD blu rays were a tad less expensive, but considering all you get in one package I've no problem shelling out twenty bucks to own one.

I wasn't surprised that there were no responses either. To me, renting a disc and then ripping is just another for of stealing since the rentals usually have a specific time frame so to rip it, the person is taking unfair advantage. I am like you in that I buy my movies and TV shows and immediately rip them and then store them in the garage.

I do wish someone would actually have the guts to answer my question. I guess that when people are gaming the system they don't want to be seen as they are.

Anyone willing to say why they are doing it? Didn't think so.
Because everything should be free that's why! It's not like their are hardworking developers writing this software, and huge teams of folks working on the movie production. I could care less if Johnny Depp loses out on a few dollars in residuals because someone copies a disc but having spent many years in software and pro audio I know first hand that it's nice to get paid for a day's work. It's the little people who get fucked with all the let's make it a free for all mentality.

Don't get me started. I mean I am no angel that's for sure but rent a disc, rip it with software you haven't paid for, then seed a bit torrent to another bunch of cheap assholes who think all this content should be free, just do us a favor, play a game of volleyball on the 405 at rush hour....
holunder2

Post by holunder2 »

Hello, I for one, do use a local postal rental service and rip some of the BDs. Our German service does not fall under some sort of timeframe rule, they get the disc when it’s released in stores. And no, I have paid for MakeMKV – in 2011. So, to answer your other question, why am I doing this? To save money, simply put. The rental service is paying a fee of some sort to the publishers and technically I’m aware that it’s in a gray area. (Double gray if you count that circumventing an effective copy protection is against EU law.) But I was in school when I started building my movie library and I’m on University now, I have other financial priorities than buying movie boxes I don’t actually want to stack in my shelf. To shock you even more: I’m actively torrenting stuff. Because I can. So, I’m a little bit a gangster but I can live with it. For most of this stuff I wouldn’t had money to buy anyway. And using a rental service gives me way better quality than scene releases and I can give at least some sort of support (lol) to publishers.