wd tv hd media player and MakeMKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
maleone41

wd tv hd media player and MakeMKV

Post by maleone41 »

I recently purchased a wd tv hd media player (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572). One of the filetypes it supports is MKV, which makes this program AWESOME! In the latest software update they've added chapter support, which again is great for this program. One question...would it ever be possible to give the chapter titles a name. I'm not sure if this would be done through the metadata or if this program would ever support it. The way the chapter selection appears on the media player just has all the chapters displayed as <unnamed>. Even if you could number the chapter in ascending order would be better than every chapter showing up as unnamed.

Of course in beta releases there will be bugs, but so far this program has worked great for me! Thanks again and keep up the great work!

--Mike
mike admin

Re: wd tv hd media player and MakeMKV

Post by mike admin »

MakeMKV extracts chapter names from DVD and Blu-ray discs, but studios rarely put chapter names on disc. You can use "official" mkvmerge gui from mkvtoolnix package - it contains chapter editor.
minou

Post by minou »

Hello There

I also have a WD TV player which I would recommend to anyone, however, I use ISO files for HD material rather than MKV mainly because I have not been able to persuade MakeMKV to actually make an HD MKV - see my earlier posting on the subject (no problem with SD). The WD unit plays ISOs and, of course, burning to a disc is not an issue from an ISO.

Minou.
Icanseestars

Post by Icanseestars »

I acquired a WDTV minou and yeahs something strange going on alright most of the MKV's derived from Blu-rays didn't work (I mistakenly thought the latest firmware update address that), either manually made or through MakeMKV but one did Wall-e. Why the Wall-e worked and the others did not is a bit of a mystery to me, 16GB H.264 video with AC3 audio taken straight from the original Blu-ray.

You say ISO's made from the Blu-ray work ? well that is interesting. MKV's encoded to H.264 L4.1 definitely work though.

Update: After some further testing the Indy Crystal Skull, Transformers, Wall-e & Iron Man Blu-rays when run through MakeMKV work with the WDTV, I have a some MKV's with VC-1 encoded video (The Dark Knight) which don't play at all - my hunch is that the WDTV cannot play HD VC-1 streams in the MKV container which is why some Blu-ray's dont work.

I'm going to try muxing the VC-1 movies into M2TS and see if that changes anything.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Please try the latest version - it should produce correct VC-1 MKV.
alfmkv

Post by alfmkv »

maleone41 wrote: The way the chapter selection appears on the media player just has all the chapters displayed as <unnamed>. Even if you could number the chapter in ascending order would be better than every chapter showing up as unnamed.
This issue is resolved for DVD in 778 beta. The chapter are now named as Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc