"Cinavia" watermark protection

Everything related to MakeMKV
raist3001

Re: "Cinavia" watermark protection

Post by raist3001 »

Just to confirm again....

An Oppo player (I own the Oppo 103) which does have Cinavia detection, will NOT detect Cinavia in an MKV container. Even with the latest firmware installed, Cinavia is not detected in MKV.

I have my entire BR disc library backed up to MKV and I can either stream via Ethernet, or play via an attached HDD to the Oppo, and the MKV file will play all master audio tracks without any issue.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

BD standalones manufacturers are required to adhere to Cinavia by accepting the Blu-Ray license since 2012. The fact that Oppo apparently does that for BDs only and not MKVs looks like an oversight and sure as hell wouldn't update the firmware.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
mattias83

Post by mattias83 »

Chetwood wrote:BD standalones manufacturers are required to adhere to Cinavia by accepting the Blu-Ray license since 2012. The fact that Oppo apparently does that for BDs only and not MKVs looks like an oversight and sure as hell wouldn't update the firmware.
Are we certain it's an oversight? An mkv is not a blu-ray disc. Perhaps blu-ray players are required to adhere to the Cinavia standard for discs but not required to for mkvs or other file types since they're not a blu-ray disc format?
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

setarip_old wrote:Here's a link to a reliable (from the publishers of DVDFab, etc.) current list of Blu-ray discs that contain "Cinavia" watermarking, as well as a list of known standalone players that contain "Cinavia" protection:

http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php? ... #post46933

Updated link:
http://blog.dvdfab.cn/cinavia-protection.html
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

DVDFab is now claiming to have "cracked the code" with regards to Cinavia.
I show some skepticism though because they have to "patch" each disc one at a time and apparently your online network connection goes haywire while doing so. like it is downloading a huge amoutn of data. Maybe it is downloading just the Cinavia portion of the audio and the program is cancelling it out? Also apparently you end up with an LPCM audio instead of a DTS or Dolby lossless format, and the LPCM file is bigger than the source file. If HDS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD are lossless, why would this be?
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Adding more to the topic as it may be relevant.

They say Cinavia is in the audible range. They say if you have a Cinavia compliant camcorder and try to record a movie in the movie theater, it too will shut down after 20 seconds.

If Cinavia is in the audible range, what does it sound like? Is it ruining our lossless audio experience? I say yes to this.

Are they just simple digital notches in the waveforms and a waveform filter could sort of clean it up, like a capacitor does on a noisy DC voltage line?
Wondercow

Post by Wondercow »

Krawk wrote:Also apparently you end up with an LPCM audio instead of a DTS or Dolby lossless format, and the LPCM file is bigger than the source file. If HDS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD are lossless, why would this be?
Because lossless does not mean uncompressed.
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

mattias83 wrote:
Chetwood wrote:BD standalones manufacturers are required to adhere to Cinavia by accepting the Blu-Ray license since 2012. The fact that Oppo apparently does that for BDs only and not MKVs looks like an oversight and sure as hell wouldn't update the firmware.
Are we certain it's an oversight? An mkv is not a blu-ray disc. Perhaps blu-ray players are required to adhere to the Cinavia standard for discs but not required to for mkvs or other file types since they're not a blu-ray disc format?
Cinavia needs to be implemented in the BD stack. Oppo has two playback engines: One for full BDs and another one for files like mkv.
stonesfan129

Post by stonesfan129 »

The only way to beat it is to use something that doesn't recognize the watermark.
whatever_gong82

Post by whatever_gong82 »

stonesfan129 wrote:The only way to beat it is to use something that doesn't recognize the watermark.
If anyone is lucky, have a copy of PowerDVD 9-11 Ultra available on your system. Those versions don't look for Cinavia.

Basically from PowerDVD 12 on, Cyberlink has PowerDVD have a check for the Cinavia signal, so you need something to play your Cinavia backups without cutting off your audio, just like the examples I posted above.

I almost forgot: later versions of PowerDVD 10 (that upgrades to PowerDVD 11/12) and PowerDVD 11 had Cinavia added to them, so you have to check to see what version you have, and whether you can downgrade to an earlier version that doesn't detect Cinavia.
richdmoore

Post by richdmoore »

DADFAB is now selling a feature that removes Cinavia from bluray movies.

http://www.dvdfab.cn/cinaviaremoval-hd-for-mac.htm

I see that they are converting the audio in the process to LPCM 5.1, but I don't know to much about it.

EDIT: I read more on the dvdfab forums. It looks like the protection removal is only for Bluray, not DVD Cinavia currently. In addition, movie titles are added on a disc by disc basis so it is not a universal solution for all cinavia titles. They have a list in the forums of at the titles they can remove.

Finally, I missed a discount in January to upgrade to the new feature for 1/2 off, as I already purchased a all in one license years ago, so I would have to pay full price ($70) now. :-(
boe_d

Post by boe_d »

raist3001 wrote:Just to confirm again....

An Oppo player (I own the Oppo 103) which does have Cinavia detection, will NOT detect Cinavia in an MKV container. Even with the latest firmware installed, Cinavia is not detected in MKV.

I have my entire BR disc library backed up to MKV and I can either stream via Ethernet, or play via an attached HDD to the Oppo, and the MKV file will play all master audio tracks without any issue.
I have the 203 and the 103. The 103 didn't detect the Cinavia on Inferno (converted with the newest MakeMKV 1.10.4) but the 203 does.
TheShoe

Post by TheShoe »

boe_d wrote:
raist3001 wrote:Just to confirm again....

I have the 203 and the 103. The 103 didn't detect the Cinavia on Inferno (converted with the newest MakeMKV 1.10.4) but the 203 does.
do you know if the 203 will enforce Cinavia if you feed the MKV from an external device (e.g. HTPC) to the HDMI input of the 203 rather than direct playback of an MKV on the 203?

EDIT: may have found the answer:

"Cinavia is more strictly enforced, applying to USB hard drives and DLNA, SMB and NFS networking, as well as optical discs as before (it is not detected over the HDMI input last time I checked, nor over HDMI ARC, but that could change)"

So for those of us using the HDMI input of the oppo players (so far) we are ok. It does not surprise me that they have started enforce this.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

There are now dvds out there that have Cinavia as well. This will never go away. There needs to be a Universal crack somewhere.
bambam10

Post by bambam10 »

I can confirm Cinavia annoyingly works on WinDVD Pro 11 For Windows 8 when using Disk, I had the little Grey Screen pop up a couple of times saying I was playing the Disc on an unauthorised device. I can also confirm it doesn't work on a Sumvision Cyclone V.2.0 Media Player with the film converted to MKV.
The movie in Question was called 'The Shack". And was a Commercial Disc.