Help, Corrupt or invalid at offset 256296960, attempting to work around

Everything related to MakeMKV
insurancepi68

Help, Corrupt or invalid at offset 256296960, attempting to work around

Post by insurancepi68 »

ok, so I finally had success in ripping and making my first movie with make MKV, thank goodness, lol. Im learning and reading so dont abuse me too badly. I am trying to rip Close Encounters and its a triple layer disk. After I select the video, audio that I want and start it goes to work, however this is the third time that I have tried this movie and i always get these errors , but this one the drive is running and the program is running but its stuck at the "Corrupt or invalid at offset 256296960, attempting to work around". I have read a lot on this last night, but does this mean that the disk cant be read? i cleaned the heck out of it btw. Also, last night I just let it run and this morning when i looked at it, the program had a message that said there was an error, and the movie as not made. I did not really look close at the error as I was pissed off. There was not even a part of the movie in the destination location, so i dont know. How long should i let the disk just keep running if its stuck on the same spot and not making progress? I dont want to burn up the drive. Are triple layer disk just complicated or should I just wait and let it run for hours?
insurancepi68

Re: Help, Corrupt or invalid at offset 256296960, attempting to work around

Post by insurancepi68 »

I figured it out... I put on my glasses and found a tiny smudge on the disk. These things have to be like clean clean to rip. Sorry for the post.
dcoke22

Re: Help, Corrupt or invalid at offset 256296960, attempting to work around

Post by dcoke22 »

The data density of UHDs, especially triple layer discs, is very high. The discs are the same size as CDs, which held perhaps 800MB of information. Triple layer UHDs can hold 100GB of information; more than 100x more data in the same physical space. That makes UHDs extremely sensitive to any dust, dirt, oils, or whatever that might cause a read error.