Optical drive not found

Everything related to MakeMKV
kennova

Optical drive not found

Post by kennova »

I keep seeing this issue on my on PC ever since upgrading to 1.15.0. The disc is being read by the OS (Windows), but not MakeMKV. I had read one user a while back fixed it by ensuring they installed MakeMKV in the 64-bit Program Files folder. so I did that and the problem seemed to go away until I tried a new disc a few days later.

I restarted the PC, restarted MakeMKV and those didn't work. So I reinstalled MakeMKV (which also uninstalls it), and then it worked. Which I found quite strange. Anyone else see this issue?
Woodstock

Re: Optical drive not found

Post by Woodstock »

Windows 10? Make sure you've enabled access for MakeMKV to the hardware. You can search for "windows 10 ransomware exceptions" to find out how; it's a popular problem. Microsoft thinks just about anything not from the Windows 10 store is "ransomware".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
kennova

Post by kennova »

Yes Windows 10. Which is also what's running on my laptop, but I haven't seen the issue. I will look into what you are describing though.
kennova

Post by kennova »

Haven't found much on that topic that relates to drive access. All the settings lead to Virus and ransomware protection that have to do with files and folders. It was a good thought though. I think the odd part is that it works after a reinstall. That makes me think it's some issue with the software.

Anyone else seeing this issue? I see it with both DVD and Blu-ray. With DVDs I can browse to the IFO file and it will scan and work, but I'm not sure which file to browse to make the Blu-ray work. I think it would work if I hit the right file to scan.

Which leads me to another thought of the oddity of the situation. Why can I browse to the optical drive from MakeMKV, but MakeMKV can't see the drive natively?
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

kennova wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:28 pm
Haven't found much on that topic that relates to drive access. All the settings lead to Virus and ransomware protection that have to do with files and folders.
Did you read this thread: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... are#p69524
That makes me think it's some issue with the software.
The software (MakeMKV) works well. It's only the Defender which blocks the drives.
but I'm not sure which file to browse to make the Blu-ray work. I think it would work if I hit the right file to scan.
Index.bdmv
Why can I browse to the optical drive from MakeMKV, but MakeMKV can't see the drive natively?
Explorer versus MakeMKV. The difference is that MakeMKV is blocked.
Good Luck :)

Post by kennova »

Thanks for that, I hadn't found that post. I'll try some of that again. The fact that it works after reinstall is still rattling my brain, but thanks for the answer about which file to scan for the Blu-ray, I hadn't ever known that.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

kennova wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:10 pm
The fact that it works after reinstall is still rattling my brain,
Special Microsoft logic :) The program is not blocked on every PC, so all can happen ... maybe after the next MakeMKV install it failes, maybe after the next Windows update ......
Good Luck :)

Post by kennova »

Ok, I can reproduce the issue when I try to use MakeMKV in a Remote Desktop session. I have to shut it down and restart it to get the drive visible again. Looking back that is a common thread when I've seen the issue but I didn't put it together.