Aspect Ratio

Everything related to MakeMKV
Neomorpheus

Aspect Ratio

Post by Neomorpheus »

I have a DVD that has both a 16:9 and a 4:3 ratio concert performance. When I run Makemkv it finds two sets of video files both of which get converted to 4:3 when I make the mkv. Is it not detecting the 16:9 files?
mike admin

Re: Aspect Ratio

Post by mike admin »

MakeMKV should put correct aspect ratio into output MKV. What player are you using?
Neomorpheus

Post by Neomorpheus »

I have a WDTV. When i use Media Info it tells me both mkv files are 4:3 even though I know the original VOB files are 4:3 and 16:9
subslug

Post by subslug »

Same issue here, I've yet to create a widescreen format file with MakeMKV on both the Windows and the Linux versions.
The files play back fine on the WDTV just regular screen. The same files aren't in the WS format when I play them on the computer either though.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

have you seen _any_ whidescreen MKV file that plays correctly on wdtw (i'.m really asking). If yes, I would ask you to provide some additional info.
Chiasmos

Post by Chiasmos »

The WDTV plays authentic WS and has ratio choices to set your Format view. If there are multiple ratios within the video source, then are they present to be selected after the initial scan? As for that one comment about makemkv never creating widescreen, as I'm not certain exactly what you meant, but if you meant by regular as 4:3, then do not think it will make into 16:9, if it a 4:3 source, as it is not intended to do that. but you can certainly stretch to whatever ratio you want from within about any player or monitor. :)
subslug

Post by subslug »

Yeah

User error. :oops:

I realized later that I was ripping DVDs that were full screen on one side and wide on the other.

It does create widescreen just fine.