Metadata in MKV/suggestion

Everything related to MakeMKV
bigdude

Metadata in MKV/suggestion

Post by bigdude »

MakeMKV is a great tool, kudos on this work!

I was wondering if metadata could be added to it's output files. It would be nice to have a way to add chapter titles, video name, year, genre, and things like cast lists to the files. I am fairly new to MKV packages, so hopefully this is not a dumb question...

Is that possible and are there any tools that can be used to add that kind of information ?

It would be very useful is a way to 'import' that information from an XML/ASCII file.

MakeMKV is very close to being the perfect tool for video archiving, it really only lacks a handful of features (maybe in it's final form it will have one or more of them). My wishlist would be:
1.) a clean and flexible CLI
2.) a way to add metadata from a file or from the CLI
3.) in-stream video compression
4.) in-stream audio/video conversion (DTS->AC3 etc.)
4.) a way to actually package the entire menu content along with the video (in other words treat the entire DVD as a single entity packaging it in one MKV file). I read somewhere that MKV package format has menu support of some kind in it...

Obviously some of these are very tough to do, but you never know what is possible if you don't ask !
mike admin

Re: Metadata in MKV/suggestion

Post by mike admin »

Please look at mkvtoolnix - these are official tools that allow full MKV editing. MKV files support all metadata you mentioned. MakeMKV tries to extract all available metadata but for blu-ray it usually means only the disc name. Very few DVD discs have metadata on them.