MakeMKV altering Aspect Ratio

Everything related to MakeMKV
steelman1991

MakeMKV altering Aspect Ratio

Post by steelman1991 »

Firstly folks, thanks for filling a need and producing this software. Initial impressions have been positive, though I have one question regarding Aspect Ratios and how makemkv handles them.

Please bear with me as my technical knowledge is very limited. I initially tested the programme with sevral DVD's wih a 4:3 AR's which seem to have muxed correctly, though FFDshow is identifying different fps from the original file. The trouble I have encountered is with 2 16:9 widescreen movies (original movie has black borders top and bottom as expected). Once ripped to mkv both these movies are now showing in a 'framed' format - black borders on all sides. Any ideas why this is happening I assumed that the programme would preserve this element during the transfer.

Any help or advice you give would be appreciated.
mike admin

Re: MakeMKV altering Aspect Ratio

Post by mike admin »

steelman1991 wrote:Firstly folks, thanks for filling a need and producing this software. Initial impressions have been positive, though I have one question regarding Aspect Ratios and how makemkv handles them.

Please bear with me as my technical knowledge is very limited. I initially tested the programme with sevral DVD's wih a 4:3 AR's which seem to have muxed correctly, though FFDshow is identifying different fps from the original file. The trouble I have encountered is with 2 16:9 widescreen movies (original movie has black borders top and bottom as expected). Once ripped to mkv both these movies are now showing in a 'framed' format - black borders on all sides. Any ideas why this is happening I assumed that the programme would preserve this element during the transfer.

Any help or advice you give would be appreciated.
As per your own post on doom9 forum this looks like ffdshow decoding problem. MakeMKV transcodes video without any changes and puts correct display resolution into MKV container. Thank you for using our software.
steelman1991

Post by steelman1991 »

Hi Mike

Thanks for the response. The fact that the file plays correctly in MPC would certainly lead me to believe that there is some FFDshow processing issue. Will experiment some more and let you know how I get on.

On the whole though, a great piece of software, keep up the good work its lightning fast and I wish I could just get this dispaly issue resolved and I'd be sorted.