Blu-ray frozen video/active audio

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
socker_dad

Blu-ray frozen video/active audio

Post by socker_dad »

I have started ripping my Blu-ray collection, having finished all my DVDs with great success.

However, the Blu-rays are giving me fits! About 3/4 of the time, the ripped movie cannot be viewed on my television: the video is frozen, but the audio track continues perfectly. Now I can fast-forward through the frozen video, but while it stops on the picture at the stopped point, it simply won't play!

Background: I rip on my PC - view the rip there on VLC. I then transfer the movie to my easystore 5-terrabyte external drive and plug that into my television, where I use VLC downloaded from the Google Play Store to watch the movies.

The lack of consistency with this problem has me confused, as I haven't changed any settings.

I didn't have this problem with Videobytes BD-DVD ripper (I don't use it because once you include a subtitle, it cannot be "undisplayed" on viewing).

Has anyone else had this problem and can offer suggestions?
Billycar11

Re: Blu-ray frozen video/active audio

Post by Billycar11 »

dont use a junky dumb tv get a real thing hooked up to your tv a pc, nvidia shield or maybe an apple if you like
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
jinx100

Re: Blu-ray frozen video/active audio

Post by jinx100 »

Billcar11 is right, the processor in your TV is likely not powerful enough to handle VLC playing a high data rate BR movie. Try:

1. See if your TV recognizes your easystore as an attached hard drive and will play the MKV files on its own without VLC.

2. Compress the MKV files mildly to about one third or one quarter data size with Handbrake. This smaller size will also make them easier to play.

3. If 1 and 2 fail, use an external device as Billy suggests.