Purchase Question

Everything related to MakeMKV
Chungo

Purchase Question

Post by Chungo »

Hi,

I have just started using this impressive piece of software (at least it is so far!). If I am pleased after a few weeks, I will be buying a key for the software. I do not have a problem supporting the developers, I do however have a few questions that I would like to be addressed:

1) What is the difference between the freeware beta versions & if I purchase a license for the current beta versions? I am assuming that someday it will no longer be in beta--will it be strictly be sold then instead of freeware?

2) If I purchase a license, how long is it good for? I really dont want to start using this wonderful program, and have to cough up $50 every year or two like some of your competitors--the T.C.O. of the hobby will be too high.

Thank You for your time & keep up the great work!

Chungo
mike admin

Re: Purchase Question

Post by mike admin »

Today, a free key is posted once a month. Sometimes this will stop and purchase will be your only option. If you don't use the beta key today (you use MakeMKV only on DVD or AVCHD) then there is no need to purchase - this functionality is and will stay free.

The key is lifetime, as outlined at http://www.makemkv.com/buy/
stephen22

Post by stephen22 »

If you don't use the beta key today (you use MakeMKV only on DVD or AVCHD) then there is no need to purchase - this functionality is and will stay free
Please explain how this works

best wishes
Stephen
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

stephen22 wrote: Please explain how this works
As far as I am aware, the DVD/ AVCHD ripping features are free / freeware aspects of the software. It's only the Blu-ray ripping that is limited by the paid version. So, if you only use MakeMKV to rip DVDs, you don't strictly have to buy the software, it is free to use for that purpose.

However, if you like the software, consider buying it to show support for a great piece of software.