Error message

Everything related to MakeMKV
cdrracing

Error message

Post by cdrracing »

I keep getting an error message that reads failed to open disk.
any ideas?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Please see the log window (the lower part of the program screen) for more details - it should specify exact cause of failure.
cdrracing

error

Post by cdrracing »

The log window only says "Failed to open disk"
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

it is very strange. What kind of drive and OS do you have? Can you open any disk at all (DVD or blu-ray)? Are you administrator?
cdrracing

Error message

Post by cdrracing »

Thanks for the reply.
I am administrator, I have ripped several blu-rays to my HDD but only in .m2ts format.
I am running Q6600, 2GB ram, 300GB HDD, LG super-multi (HDDVD, BLU-RAY,DVD)
I am running anydvd-hd I have ripped with that and with blue-ray disk ripper, they both seem to work fine except they rip directly to m2ts.
I have even tried inserting the disk then immediately opening makemkv while the disk is still reading.
this might help, when I click makemkv it shows it is parsing through the files and the top progress bar is going faster than the bottom bar.
Thanks for your help mike.
mike admin

Re: Error message

Post by mike admin »

cdrracing wrote:Thanks for the reply.
I am running anydvd-hd I have ripped with that and with blue-ray disk ripper, they both seem to work fine except they rip directly to m2ts.
I think that might be the reason. As silly as it sounds MakeMKV may conflict with AnyDVD. The program has its own Blu-ray decrypting engine and it might choke on already decrypted discs. I will try to test this setup. Meanwhile please try disabling anydvd when opening discs with MakeMKV and see if it helps. Also the latest build makes it easier to enable debug logging that should pinpoint the exact problem. Thank you for trying out!
cdrracing

Error message

Post by cdrracing »

Well,
Looks like that fixed one problem but now there's another.
I have tried 3 movies.... the incredible hulk, deception and pirates of the caribean: world's end.

With anydvd not running the log window reads:
"The volume key is unknown for this disk - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disk"

Maybe there's a way to enter a volume key or rip it with anydvd with the volume key removed then open the file with makemkv?

Thanks for the help.
Merry Christmas
mike admin

Re: Error message

Post by mike admin »

cdrracing wrote:Well,
Looks like that fixed one problem but now there's another.
I have tried 3 movies.... the incredible hulk, deception and pirates of the caribean: world's end.

With anydvd not running the log window reads:
"The volume key is unknown for this disk - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disk"

Maybe there's a way to enter a volume key or rip it with anydvd with the volume key removed then open the file with makemkv?

Thanks for the help.
Merry Christmas
There is a way to enter VUK. You need to create a dedicated folder shomewhere and specify it in settings-AACS-key file directory. Then create a text file in this folder and put desired VUK there in hexadecimal notation. MakeMKV will scan all text files in this directory, grab all hex strings that look like volume key and automatically select right one. It will safely ignore any other text (this way it is compatible with all VUK file formats available today).

On the other note we'll try to fix incompatibility with AndDVD in the next version - you should expect update sometimes next week. Out of curiosity, what was the "not supported feature" on these disks - MKB version or BD+ ?