Two ideas...

Everything related to MakeMKV
Cryptographic

Two ideas...

Post by Cryptographic »

Great product. Much better, faster and reliable than any other utility I've tried. So far, I've MKV'd about 75 standard discs without incident, whereas many other programs had problems with (and simply couldn't do) certain DVDs.

Since no product is perfect, I'd like to suggest the following features:

- Ability to play an audio file/alert once a backup has completed. Not all discs back up within the same timeframe, so I need to keep returning to my computer from time to time to see if it's done. Because I'm just now redoing my collection from VOB to MKV and have a ton of DVDs to convert, I set up a series of mirrors that allow me to see my computer monitor from the next room so I can easily glance over and see if things are done. Saves times. :)

- In conjunction with the above, the ability to play and audio file/alert when the initial reading of a disc is completed. Again, some discs take 30 seconds, some have taken up to 15 minutes.

- Ability to check or uncheck all titles. I typically only want to back up the movie, and as things stand now I must uncheck all the titles except the main movie. Some discs have 30 titles. If I could uncheck them all by default (or click something that checks/unchecks everything) it would be far more convenient.

Thanks.
Chetwood

Re: Two ideas...

Post by Chetwood »

Alternatively MakeMKV could call up any file (script, batch) when finished so people could script their own actions when encoding is done. Would also result in me not having to poll for the okay window to start the next instance...
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Cryptographic wrote:- Ability to check or uncheck all titles. I typically only want to back up the movie, and as things stand now I must uncheck all the titles except the main movie. Some discs have 30 titles. If I could uncheck them all by default (or click something that checks/unchecks everything) it would be far more convenient.
Just to note, this can be done already with a right mouse click.
Cryptographic

Post by Cryptographic »

Too funny. I never even thought of right-clicking. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the head's up.

Edit: Nice that it deselects only the titles and preserves the audio elements. Smartly done.
joefoerster

Post by joefoerster »

I'd like to offer a new suggestion... I don't think this is too dangerous. When I go to do a rip, MakeMKV always pops up a dialog saying the directory my rip is going to go into doesn't exist and would I like to create it? It defaults to No and I have to click Yes each time. I bet if you took a survey, most people always click Yes. If true, why not make Yes the default so you can just hit <enter> to make it happen?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you are doing single-disk rips, defaulting to "yes" would be fine, but some of mine involve ripping 3 or more (sometimes as many as 50!) disks from a series, and catching a misspelled directory name is VERY helpful.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! »

Doesn't MakeMKV have a field up to the right where you can edit the folder name?
(I'm using the Mac version. Don't know what Windows or Linux versions have)

I'd love a preference setting 'never ask before creating a folder'.

When I rip series(about to tackle Futurama Season 5 & &), I start two or three instances, and let them create the folders they want.
Then, as the instances save files, I rename the files to 'Episode_xx' or 'Episode_XX_title'.

As the DVDs are finished, I either run them through HandBrake directly, or I copy the contents of several folders into one, then run HandBrake.
.mkv are stored on my FireWire drive, and the .m4v files goes on my network drive.
The .mkvs are deleted afterwards, so it doesn't really matter too much what the folders were named anyhow.

A way to set a default filename and possibly a counter would be nice...
Mac Mini, 2005 with superdrive, 2GB RAM, 80GB SSD, Core2Duo 2.16GHz CPU...
2 x LG USB DVD-drives and 'old spiteful' an IDE-based DVD-reader from a desktop connected to the internals of an old FW-HDD.
Writes Sci-fi:
http://www.planetfurry.com/~anthony/