MKV Files not playing on WD TV Play

Everything related to MakeMKV
DGreco63

MKV Files not playing on WD TV Play

Post by DGreco63 »

I just bought a Western Digital TV Play and hooked it to my HDTV. It'll play just about any file type OTHER than MKV. However, the documentation on Amazon states that it CAN play MKV. Since most of all my videos are converted to MKV, that's why I chose this particular model.

"Video Formats supported: AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG4, VC-1), MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG4, VC-1) TS/TP/M2T/M2TS (MPEG4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, AVC), WMV9, FLV (AVC)"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YD ... UTF8&psc=1

Any ideas?
PaulMx

Re: MKV Files not playing on WD TV Play

Post by PaulMx »

First, make sure you have run all the firmware updates! Some of these restart multiple times and they sometimes look like they are hung, so be patient. Mine originally would not play BD rips until after an update was performed.

Also, make sure you are selecting the mkv file from either the "Video" or "Files" main menu option. I have had to stop and then restart some of the BR ripped mkvs when playing because the audio fails to play correctly. If you do not need the subtitles, either delete them from your source or create and store them in a subdirectory.
DGreco63

Post by DGreco63 »

Actually the TV Play will NEVER be able to play MKV files from a network shared drive. I found that out directly from Western Digital. I returned the TV Play to Amazon two weeks ago and purchased a Western Digital TV Live for about $20 more. It can definitely play MKV files from a shared network drive.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Reading helps! The Play supports MKV but no MPEG-2, DTS(-HD), network shares. You can stream over network via DLNA and bitstream DTS(-HD) to an AVR.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch