XMEN: First Class and forced sub problems

Everything related to MakeMKV
hoops10

XMEN: First Class and forced sub problems

Post by hoops10 »

Just starting backing up my collection so I've been doing a lot of reading to learn as much as possible. XMEN: First Class is giving me headaches though. I used MakeMKV to rip the first title, the DTS-HD audio track and all the English sub tracks (including the English (Forced Only) tracks associated with them). In the case of this movie, there are 3 English sub tracks: Subtitle track 3, Subtitle track 5, and Subtitle track 6 (according to mkvmerge.) Now I know there is an issue with MakeMKV not correctly setting the forced flag so I use mkvmerge also. I go to the Header Editor, open the mkv file and set the 'Forced Display' flag to 'yes' on all 3 English sub tracks. Is this wrong?

Also, I've tried setting the 'Forced Display' flag on each individual sub track one at a time to see if they work, but no luck. The part where they are speaking German at the beginning shows no English subs at all. I have been using VLC to test the mkv files (which are sitting on my Freenas server.)

Am I missing something, doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
hoops10

Re: XMEN: First Class and forced sub problems

Post by hoops10 »

Ok, I figured it out. I am posting this in case anyone else needs help with it. The Subtitle track you want is ID5, which in this case is the 2nd English subtitle track, not the 1st. The first Eng sub track is ID3, if you force that one (with mkvmerge) you will get subtitles on for the whole movie. If you set the Forced flag on the second Eng sub track, ID5, it will only play subs when they are speaking German or French. Hope this helps everyone.