Windows XP hard crash while ripping

Everything related to MakeMKV
sgmfish

Windows XP hard crash while ripping

Post by sgmfish »

I am new to Blu-ray backup software (altho not to DVD backups). At the moment I have settled on purchasing either MakeMKV or AnyDVD. I have both installed on my system as trial periods. AnyDVD seems to be working fine, but I like the "one-step" approach of MakeMKV.

However, on my first real test of MakeMKV (v1.8.0) with Blu-ray disc "Days of Heaven", my Windows XPsp3 system suffers a hard crash. I don't even get a BSOD.....just a hard black screen. I tried to set up a Dr Watson dump (since I see that you typically ask for one), but because it is a hard stop, even Dr Watson does not get a chance to run. I have attempted this after clean boots, with AnyDVD enabled and disabled, and multiple times. The system crashes every time after about 5 minutes (about 3.5 GB) of ripping.

My system rarely suffers a BSOD, and never (that I remember) a hard crash like this.
Smithcraft

Re: Windows XP hard crash while ripping

Post by Smithcraft »

Do other discs rip ok?

SC

ps - Both are excellent tools to have, but I think I've only needed AnyDVD HD once after I started using MakeMKV.
sgmfish

Post by sgmfish »

Do other discs rip ok?
Like I say, I am just now evaluating MakeMKV. I only tried the one Blu-ray disc (see above). Given your suggestion, I just tried another blu-ray disc (this time "Zero Dark Thirty"). Same thing......total hard "black screen" crash under WXPsp3. This time approx 11GB were transferred before the crash occurs.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Most peculiar. Might have to wait for Mike to comment.

SC
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

sgmfish wrote:My system rarely suffers a BSOD, and never (that I remember) a hard crash like this.
I can't even think of a cause. Let's rule out the drive first. Please grab a disc image to ISO with Anydvd, and then open the produced ISO file from MakeMKV (File->Open).
sgmfish

Post by sgmfish »

OK. I used the ISO file that AnyDVD outputted for "Zero Dark Thirty". No problems with MakeMKV.

Good suggestion since this test takes the Blu-ray drive itself out of the equation; OTOH, the ISO file had already been decrypted by AnyDVD, so we are really looking at apples and oranges.

That the hard crash has something to do with the drive makes some sense to me since I believe hardware drivers are one of the few pieces of software that can crash Windows XP like this. My drive is a Pioneer BDR-206DBK firmware level v1.56 dated 5/6/11 (this is the firmware that came with the drive). I looked on the Pioneer website for an updated driver, and found something unusual. The most recent firmware on the website was v1.06 and seems to have a date of 12/14/11. I am hesitant to install it since the version number is smaller (the installer might not even allow me to install it), but OTOH, the date is newer (this is the date that is on the descriptive text file included with the executable in the ZIP archive).

BTW, I have since taken this same AnyDVD produced ISO file and run it thru BD Builder and Image Burner. No problems, and I was able to produce a backup disc that plays fine on my stand-alone Blu-ray player.
sgmfish

Post by sgmfish »

I guess I'll give up on MakeMKV and go with AnyDVD. I can't afford to expose my system to sudden crashes (for one thing it takes 24 hours for my RAID to rebuild itself everytime this happens). Best of luck!