How to select the best title?

Everything related to MakeMKV
JDub8

How to select the best title?

Post by JDub8 »

I've been ripping a bunch of blu rays and keep coming across titles that differ in size by 100~1000 MB. So I generally rip both/all and try to figure out which one I want after the fact.

I open them up and they will often only differ in length by 30seconds to a minute or two. Often they will have radically different chapter markers. A few "for instances":

The Expendables 2:
t00 - 26,985,303,535 bytes - 16 chapters (first one is at the 30 minute mark! and they dont seem to match up to logical chapter marks) - Runtime: 1:42:38
t02 - 26,700,375,822 bytes - 17 chapters (match up pretty well though there are two points in the middle of the film with 15 and 20 minute gaps) - Runtime: 1:41:31

Batman Begins:
I just deleted the source files before this but this one was weird because it had three titles that were similar in length etc.
(i forget the title and recuva couldnt find it) - similar to the ones below but had 0 chapters
title19 17.6 GB
title21 20.2 GB - these two were pretty much the same movie but one lacked some of the foreign audio tracks. both had chapter markers that I salvaged for use with the first title.

X-Men First Class: - OK bad example I just went though it and theres a weird "how the movie was made" wrap around, but strange how they could be the same size while using most of hte same material + 20 minutes you know?
t03 -30,187,735,287 bytes - 17 chapters - 2:11:43
t04 -30,879,189,401 bytes - 32 chapters - 2:31:39

Anyone else suffer from similarly confusing options? At least with dvd's it was easier to play them back on your pc and explore their structure with tools like ifoedit if you were so inclined. Sometimes when I search for info about the blu-ray I learn about two versions one with 32 seconds of extra footage and what that footage entails, but just as frequently there is no discussion and its up to me to hope i pick the best version =/
Ravenwood

Re: How to select the best title?

Post by Ravenwood »

Check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1155731/new-u ... ons-thread
JDub8

Re: How to select the best title?

Post by JDub8 »

While that list is *interesting* it lacks mappings of what streams go in what titles. Maybe in the future it will come in handy do make sure the title I select has the streams I want? Unfortunately it doesn't list or enumerate Commentary tracks, just says "english 2.0"