Dumping speed causes hard drive enclosure to disconnect

Everything related to MakeMKV
Ronin22222

Dumping speed causes hard drive enclosure to disconnect

Post by Ronin22222 »

I have a Mediasonic 8 bay Probox that works well copying/moving/working with files across all the drives. I can use MakeMKV to dump a bluray movie to and from any drive to and from any drive, but when I dump a TV show series on DVD or bluray the speed gets too high. It hits 60x+ on DVDs and 40x+ on blurays. This causes the 8 bay enclosure to disconnect all the drives.

Basically I want to know if there's a way to throttle the max dumping speed to 20 or 25x for example to prevent this from happening or if a speed throttle can be added in a future version
Woodstock

Re: Dumping speed causes hard drive enclosure to disconnect

Post by Woodstock »

Is your BD drive connected via USB, and POWERED by the USB?

If so, what is probably happening is that it is drawing too much power from the USB bus and causes the other drives to have problems. The bus can provide enough power to watch a movie, but, once the speed goes up, there isn't enough power to spin the drive at full speed.

It is especially bad when using an unpowered hub to connect things. Your best bet is a hub with external power, rated to provide full power if every port is pulling maximum rating.

The only other potential fix would be if Mike put in a "read limit speed", but I don't know if he'd want to do that....
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Ronin22222

Post by Ronin22222 »

Woodstock wrote:Is your BD drive connected via USB, and POWERED by the USB?

If so, what is probably happening is that it is drawing too much power from the USB bus and causes the other drives to have problems. The bus can provide enough power to watch a movie, but, once the speed goes up, there isn't enough power to spin the drive at full speed.

It is especially bad when using an unpowered hub to connect things. Your best bet is a hub with external power, rated to provide full power if every port is pulling maximum rating.

The only other potential fix would be if Mike put in a "read limit speed", but I don't know if he'd want to do that....
The 8 bay enclosure has it's own power supply and is connected directly to my computer through USB. Right now I have 4 5TB drives installed in it and the other 4 bays are empty until I fill these up then I'm planning on adding in the new 8TB drives to fill out the rest of the box so it's only at half capacity in number of drives.

It just struck me as odd that the problem only happens with TV series Blurays or DVDs. Movie Blurays dump from any one drive to any other drive at around 30x give or take, but the TV series Blurays dump at over 40x and DVDs at over 60x and that's when the problem comes in. It doesn't even start out that way. They'll start dumping at normal 30x and when it gets towards the last couple episodes the speed spikes and causes the crash.

I found a temporary workaround by dumping the TV shows from one drive and dumping them to the same drive. It forces the speed to drop because it's doing both read and write operations on the same drive. Then once it's done I just move the files to the right drive. I have the drives split for alphabetical storage like M: (Movies A-D) N: (Movies E-L) O: (Movies M-S) and P: (Movies T-Z and TV Shows). I just dump whatever I'm dumping to the right drive for storage directly. It'd be nice to be able to do the TV shows too this way and not have to mess around with moving files after dumping

Hopefully the author sees this and can add a speed limiter in future versions. It wouldn't have to be a forced speed limiter, but maybe just an option in the menu so it's not forced on anybody that doesn't want it
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What is confusing here is that you seem to be describing ripping from ISOs, not from optical media. Speeds of 40-60x would strain the plastic media. It can fail catastrophically at those speeds.

What you may be encountering is the USB controller getting confused with the amount of reads/writes going on. Your work-around means all commands go to a single USB device, so it can keep things properly queued.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Ronin22222

Post by Ronin22222 »

Woodstock wrote:What is confusing here is that you seem to be describing ripping from ISOs, not from optical media. Speeds of 40-60x would strain the plastic media. It can fail catastrophically at those speeds.

What you may be encountering is the USB controller getting confused with the amount of reads/writes going on. Your work-around means all commands go to a single USB device, so it can keep things properly queued.
Yeah, sorry. I had dumped all my blurays to ISO a long time ago but to save space I'm converting them all to MKV to get rid of the extras that I never even look at and the foreign languages that I don't need. Plus it's a little more compatible when I hook up my hard drive box to my WDTV. Some Bluray ISOs played the wrong playlist because of obfuscation/copy protection.

It probably is the USB controller getting tripped up, but like I said Bluray movies dump from ISO to MKV fine. It's just TV shows where the speed up problem comes in