Working directories and locatoin

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
dmitche3

Working directories and locatoin

Post by dmitche3 »

I want to avoid over using my SSD drives and I was wondering how limit their usage when using Makemkv.
When making multiple passes where does MakeMKV store the data?

Is there a way to alter this? And if so,how, Reinstall to a different drive perhaps?

Thanks. Love the product and I'm a proud owner. :)
Woodstock

Re: Working directories and locatoin

Post by Woodstock »

What do you mean by "multiple passes"?

MakeMKV uses your virtual memory (location controlled by the operating system, usually spread out among your drives in Windows), the MakeMKV data directory (set in Preferences->General) to store configuration stuff and some debug files, and your destination directory.

The use of virtual memory does not necessarily involve writes to your drive, unless you're short of "real" memory and have a lot of swapping going on. MakeMKV will adjust the size of its read buffer to accommodate that, but you can force it to a particular size in Preferences->IO.

The data directory will not get a lot of write operations.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dmitche3

Post by dmitche3 »

Woodstock wrote:What do you mean by "multiple passes"?

MakeMKV uses your virtual memory (location controlled by the operating system, usually spread out among your drives in Windows), the MakeMKV data directory (set in Preferences->General) to store configuration stuff and some debug files, and your destination directory.

The use of virtual memory does not necessarily involve writes to your drive, unless you're short of "real" memory and have a lot of swapping going on. MakeMKV will adjust the size of its read buffer to accommodate that, but you can force it to a particular size in Preferences->IO.

The data directory will not get a lot of write operations.
Thanks. My brain is not in the write place. LOL. Wrong software. I meant to post this in Handbrake, not Makemkv. :)

Way off topic. Yes. Now that I'm using my brain I understand. Stupid post. sorry.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

handbrake is a different story... There are several threads on their forum about moving the temporary directory. Use "temporary" as a search parameter over there, and you should find what you need.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging