.iso to MKV using MakeMKV?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Hockeytown777

.iso to MKV using MakeMKV?

Post by Hockeytown777 »

The reason for my subject being I have two BluRays that are not completing the MakeMKV process properly after trying multiple different drives. I am able to use PowerISO to create a 1:1 copy of the disc into a .iso file. I am wondering if MakeMKV is able to recognize a virtually mounted .iso file as a normally inserted BluRay disc and run the process as normal? Has anyone tried this and were you successful? I searched the forum for iso information and nothing came up, so I'm assuming it's not possible, but I am trying to dig for any kind of workaround at this point to complete my collection!

Thanks
Woodstock

Re: .iso to MKV using MakeMKV?

Post by Woodstock »

There is information necessary for dealing with BDs that isn't included in ISO files, from what I see. You will probably get a message about "Volume key is unknown for this disk" if you attempt to open them.

ISOs of DVDs work pretty well, because everything you need to decode them gets included in the ISO.

Searching for "ISO" won't work because the forum software won't index any words shorter than 4 letters. Google can find them, though.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
DavidHOO

Post by DavidHOO »

Search "Convert Blu-ray ISO image to MKV with MakeMKV", there are many guides may help you.
woodpost

Post by woodpost »

don't mount the ISO. just ctrl-o in makemkv and select the .iso file. this works for me, at least with ISOs created by AnyDVD.
paulster

Post by paulster »

woodpost wrote:don't mount the ISO. just ctrl-o in makemkv and select the .iso file. this works for me, at least with ISOs created by AnyDVD.
Exactly. I convert probably 99% of my BDs this way, because I back them up to ISO first using AnyDVD for archiving and then use MakeMKV against the ISO as it's quicker than reading the disc a second time.
ChicagoJoe69

Post by ChicagoJoe69 »

What are you using to make .iso's from the BD's? Is there a free solution? On the ones I've tried the free version is limited to a useless size.

BTW, my goal is to clone a BD. In theory creating an .iso and then burn from that, unless there is a better way.