how to decrypt blu ray copied to hard drive because of read

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
Flavious

how to decrypt blu ray copied to hard drive because of read

Post by Flavious »

I copied a blu ray to my hard drive without makemkv because it was said on one of the troubleshooting pages to do that because of read errors. How do I decrypt the files now?
Woodstock

Re: how to decrypt blu ray copied to hard drive because of r

Post by Woodstock »

"copied to hard drive" .... how?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
NextWorldVR

Post by NextWorldVR »

Woodstock wrote:"copied to hard drive" .... how?
By selecting the files and dragging them DUH!!!! I just did it myself per bullcrap lame half-ass instructions at : /errors/read/. anyone with an answer not a stupid question?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Because "copied to hard drive" can involve using other software intended to deal with BD encryption, like AnyDVD, or similar, which conflict with the method Mike was referring to in the link.

Doing the copy with the operating system doesn't bring across the actual decryption information. That involves starting MakeMKV again and beginning an encrypted backup. There is a file that will be generated at the beginning of that backup (you don't have to complete it) that has to be copied to the directories that contain your copied files.

Unfortunately, I do not have the link handy to the message detailing with file has to be copied. I'll keep looking. I do know the relevant message came up within the last week, just not remembering which forum...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Found the file name...

You start an ENCRYPTED backup of the disk in question, which can be canceled after the file discatt.dat is created in the main directory of the backup.

Copy discatt.dat to the directory that you copied the raw files to when you "copied the files to the hard drive".

Now, in MakeMKV, do a File->Open files, and have MakeMKV open discatt.dat .

Note: Mike noted that the drive you used to copy the files from the disk must be the same drive you use to do the encrypted backup to get discatt.dat. Otherwise, the decryption information will be incorrect.