What exactly is "Metadata Language" ?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
ikomrad

What exactly is "Metadata Language" ?

Post by ikomrad »

I cannot find any documentation on it in MKV help or anywhere else. Can someone through me a bone as to what it is and what I can do with it?
StripLV

Re: What exactly is "Metadata Language" ?

Post by StripLV »

I have exactly the same question. Please can anybody explain?

Thanks!!!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metadata

It's the metadata that tells a player what language a track is in.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
StripLV

Post by StripLV »

I know what metadata is in general, but I had no idea for what it is used in this case.

But in makemkv there is also the "language code" which I thought this is what tells the player what language a track is?
And for what needs the player know the language???

Do I need the metadata for forced subs? Because how do I deal with "lord of the rings"? I have the DVD with 2 languages included.
I want now include the forced subs for both languages. I know how I do this BUT how does the player now know which forced sub it has to use for english and german language?

Please advice, thanks!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"Need" for metadata is contingent on what you're playing the file in. Some players ignore the metadata, others won't work without it.

And metadata cannot be trusted - I have a number of disks with "English" subtitles that are really in Chinese, Korean, Malaysian, French, or some other language. And several publishers of anime titles with only Japanese audio mark it as "English" so that players will be able to select a track when the user specifies "English" for the preferred language.

In expert mode, you can edit the contents of the tags. Whether or not it will help with a particular player is best checked by trying it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging