Exactly what does "Preferred Language" do?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
dhstraayer

Exactly what does "Preferred Language" do?

Post by dhstraayer »

I'm looking for a little clarification here. I am mostly using MakeMKVCON from code I've written (both in Java and VB) to automate the ripping process, and to use some tools (MKVExtract, bdsup2sub special version for WDTV, and MKVMerge) to get around a couple of annoying bugs (a color mapping bug, and no support for BluRay SUP files) in my Western Digital WDTV Live +. Mostly working pretty well, but I've had issues with foreign-language movies.

I suspect my problems may be due to my setting English as my preferred language. If I don't set a preferred language, am I right that all audio tracks and subtitle files are included in the MKV file?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of setting a preferred language? I surmise that the files are a bit smaller without having all the audio tracks and subtitles files in them. Also, maybe it is a little inconvenient to have to choose the audio file and subtitle file (I'm not even sure how to do that with my WDTV...)

I'm debating whether to:
1: manually run MakeMKV on foreign films to ensure I don't lose foreign audio tracks.
(or)
2: leave Preferred Language set to "none", and manually deal with extra tracks.

Do I understand what setting a preferred language does? Again, I think it just causes MakeMKV to leave out audio tracks and subtitle files in any language other than the preferred one.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Straayer
b.t.w., anyone else out there with a WDTV who wants my automated fixer, let me know. I'll be glad to supply it to anyone who wants it.
Chetwood

Re: Exactly what does "Preferred Language" do?

Post by Chetwood »

dhstraayer wrote:b.t.w., anyone else out there with a WDTV who wants my automated fixer, let me know. I'll be glad to supply it to anyone who wants it.
Absolutely! Why not make a new thread and attach it there so people can give suggestions on improvements (in case you're interested).
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
celavey

Post by celavey »

Chetwood wrote:
dhstraayer wrote:b.t.w., anyone else out there with a WDTV who wants my automated fixer, let me know. I'll be glad to supply it to anyone who wants it.
Absolutely! Why not make a new thread and attach it there so people can give suggestions on improvements (in case you're interested).
I am also interested in this. Go ahead and share it to the community!!
dhstraayer

Post by dhstraayer »

I started a thread and posted this link: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 061#p19061

The documentation, source code, and exe are at: http://dhstraayer.com/published/WD_MKV/

Go ahead an try it.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

dhstraayer wrote:Do I understand what setting a preferred language does? Again, I think it just causes MakeMKV to leave out audio tracks and subtitle files in any language other than the preferred one.
The default language is used to select tracks. The logic is complex, but is described in detail in sticky posts of this forum. Specifically default language is used by "favlang" selection token. In your case, you may want to create a custom profile that always selects all tracks - this was already discussed in another topic.