Selection rule for localised audio tracks and subtitles

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
henris

Selection rule for localised audio tracks and subtitles

Post by henris »

I've a collection of ~250 Blu-rays of which about half are childrens' movies and they contain a Finnish audio track in addition to the original audio track (English in 99% of cases). The rest of the movies contain English audio and Finnish subtitles. I'm in the process of converting these Blu-ray rips to MKV using Makemkvcon and I would like to automate the audio track and subtitle selection.

Is it possible to define a selection rule which would cover the following scenarios:

1. Movie with only English audio track (ie. no Finnish audio track)
-> include all English audio tracks, make the first one the default (or perhaps the lossless)
-> include Finnish subtitle(s), display Finnish subtitles by default

2. Movie with Finnish (and most of the time English) audio track
-> include all English and Finnish audio tracks, make the first Finnish one the default
-> include Finnish subtitle(s), do not display subtitles by default

Any help is well appreciated.
henris

Re: Selection rule for localised audio tracks and subtitles

Post by henris »

This was actually easier than I thought. First the default selection rule:

Code: Select all

-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang),-sel:(havemulti|havecore),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang
Then my new one with Finnish preferred and English preserved. Also the HD Audio tracks are now preserved.

-sel:all,+sel:audio&(fin|eng),-sel:(havemulti),-sel:mvcvideo,+sel:subtitle&(fin|eng),-sel:special,=100:all,-10:fin
And finally the breakdown with explanations:

-sel:all 					-> Deselect all tracks
+sel:audio&(fin|eng) 		-> Select all audio tracks in Finnish or English
-sel:(havemulti) 			-> Deselect all mono/stereo tracks which have a multi-channel track in same language
-sel:mvcvideo				-> Deselect 3D multi-view videos
+sel:subtitle&(fin|eng)		-> Select all subtitle tracks in Finnish or English (English included only as a backup)
-sel:special				-> Deselect all special tracks (director's comments etc.)
=100:all					-> set output weight 100 to all tracks
-10:fin						-> decrement the weight of all tracks in Finnish language by 10 (to make them the first ones in output)
The special tag does not seem to do much, I guess that information is not available on discs. I went with separate audio and subtitle rules just for clarity, they could combined in a single rule since they are identical. Hope these help others.