6.1 DTS-HD to FLAC issues

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
zweibier

6.1 DTS-HD to FLAC issues

Post by zweibier »

Hey, I'm trying to make mkvs out few blu-rays with 6.1 the DTS-HD tracks (namely, Star Wars series and LOTR extended ed.) using the FLAC profile.
For some reason I'm not getting the audio working at all.
Other blu-rays, e.g. 7.1 or 5.1 DTS-HD or TrueHD convert to flac just fine.
Using MakeMKV darwin build, 1.8.5. dtsdecoderdll.dll reference dll ver 1.1.0.8.
Thoughts?
Romansh

Re: 6.1 DTS-HD to FLAC issues

Post by Romansh »

Does MakeMKV fail with an error message, or is it a playback issue? What are you using to play the file?
zweibier

Post by zweibier »

MakeMKV doesn't give any error messages and processes the movie completely.
No audio during playback (or, in some cases it appears there's only audio of some random, non-main channel). Tried VLC and Plex for playback (Mac versions).
dannyboy48888

Post by dannyboy48888 »

Had the same problem with the Star Wars series audio. The 6.1 loss-less worked in MPC-HC but the channel mapping was wrong, extracting the core is what I ended up and worked fine as it was 5.1
zweibier

Post by zweibier »

Yeah, extracting core worked too but, ideally, I wouldn't want to lose fidelity.
If the issue is simply the wrong channel mapping, curious who's issue is it: makemkv? fundamentally flac format? dtsdecoderdll.dll?
Is there a way to "remap" channels?
dannyboy48888

Post by dannyboy48888 »

Can confirm it's not Makemkv's fault. Ripping the disc VIA AnyDVD and TSMuxer yields the same result. Something about 6.1 messes open-source decoders. I have yet to have a 6.1 audio track not have this problem
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Blade, Blade Trinity and one of the X-Men movies have 6.1 DTS-MA sound and I converted them to FLAC fine with Eac3to, unfortunately, my WDTV Live SMP refuses to play it but they play back fine in VLC and Windows Media Player.
dannyboy48888

Post by dannyboy48888 »

Fixed with ffmpeg and libav updating so most PC programs are working too (MPC-HC, vlc, mpv, Smplayer, etc). VLC on my Android (yes, it exists...) plays fine via streaming off my apache server (ripped first and put on server). Check the hombrew community for updates, as a few years ago they had some awesome mods for the wdtv live gen 2
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Unfortunately I have a WD TV Live SMP and as far as I'm aware the firmware is protected with encryption which has yet to be acceptably broken (and most likely never will).