extractMKV - Simple Windows/DOS "main title" automator

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
n00pz

extractMKV - Simple Windows/DOS "main title" automator

Post by n00pz »

I put this together to meet my own needs, and then figured maybe someone else can get some mileage out of it. I know there are various other automation options out there for MakeMKV, but maybe this will be just what someone else is looking for.

The basic intent of this utility (a classic command line DOS batch file) is described in this comment that's included in the batch file:

Code: Select all

::    1) Wait for a disc to be inserted in the given drive (don't wait if one is already there)
::    2) Create a folder beneath the root folder based on the DVD volume label
::    3) Use MakeMKV to extract any title longer than specified (default to 60 min) and save
::       to that destination.  The MakeMKV output is also saved to that same folder as "makeMKV.log".
::    4) Eject the disc and go to step 1
If you have a stack of DVDs and you simply want to rip off the main title from each one, then this utility is for exactly that purpose. Besides MakeMKV, it also uses a utility, "clewd" to open/close the DVD drive tray (a GNU utility, v0.2 is included in the attachment).

If you want to give it a shot, be sure to customize extractMKV.bat for your needs! Unfortunately, clewd uses drive letters (like "E:") while MakeMKV uses an index (like "disc:0"), and I couldn't find a way to easily map between them, so if your drives don't start at E: (or if they skip a letter) then you need to make adjustments. Also, you'll need to point the batch file to your makemkvcon or makemkvcon64 and possibly adjust other defaults. But if your first DVD drive is E:, you drop "clewd.exe" in the same folder as the batch file, mkv is installed in the default location, and you are use the 64bit version, then you shouldn't need to make any changes.

Be sure to read the lead comment in "extractMKV.bat" - it explains everything.

I couldn't get the attachment to upload (quota full?) so I made the zip file available here: https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=ED0 ... rl5-fGX-ck

- n00pz

P.S. If you don't have an editor that understands DOS batch, try out Notepad++, it does a great job.