maximum bluray quality possible limited to 8bit 4:2:0?

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
mkrjf

maximum bluray quality possible limited to 8bit 4:2:0?

Post by mkrjf »

[img]li[/img]
In using the eval version of makemkv, I never see any other result than 4:2:0 8 bit color (chroma subsampling format and bit depth).
Is that the result of makemkv using libraries compiled for 8 bit (and / or 4:2:0) only?
I have seen in doom9 and other video specific forums that many tools built on ffmpeg or similar are using libraries that are compiled for 8 bit and that is causing quiet truncation of data / data quality.
On the other hand maybe no blu-ray exists that has more than 8 bit 4:2:0 original content.
I have noticed this for a wide range of bluray - us, international, studio, indie, old, new, film, digital, different codec, etc.
In some cases I know that the mezzanine used for the bluray was not the issue (for example recent films shot on red epic and graded to 10 bit 4:2:2 or better for dcp and hopefully bluray.
I notice new UHD bluray standard has some nonsense about only supporting 4:2:0 even though requiring 10 bit and bt2020.
Let me know if there exist any bluray with 4:2:2 or 10 bit and if makemkv Is altering source data by error or oversight.
Thx
Mick
Woodstock

Re: maximum bluray quality possible limited to 8bit 4:2:0?

Post by Woodstock »

Since MakeMKV copies the video track out of the M2TS into the MKV file without modifying it, your assumption of the limits of BD content are pretty much validated.

And the difference between "eval" and "paid" versions are nil with regard to this... Recoding video is NOT part of MakeMKV.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging