www.makemkv.com

MakeMKV support forum
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:32 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: UHD support
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:26 am
Posts: 3339
Starting from version 1.10.8 MakeMKV supports UHD discs. Everything except the decryption should work. Specifically:
  • HEVC codec is supported
  • AACS version is correctly displayed
  • Non-decrypted backup should now work (previously MakeMKV produced correct backups but incorrectly printed hashcheck errors).

Because MakeMKV contains no AACS2.0 keys, protected discs will fail to open. MakeMKV will save yet another dump in this case, called "AACS dump". Please send these dumps to svq@makemkv.com .

Just a reminder - the AACS2.0 decryption process for M2TS files is the same as in regular AACS, so if you happen to know volume key for particular disc, MakeMKV (as any other libaacs-based application) would be able to open the original disc directly. Please see https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/12 on how to provide volume keys to MakeMKV. As of time of this writing, no volume keys for UHD discs were ever released publicly.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: UHD support
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:16 am
Posts: 726
I personally won't make the jump to UHD anytime soon but that's good to hear. Great job, Mike.

_________________
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: UHD support
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:22 am
Posts: 2
mike admin wrote:
Starting from version 1.10.8 MakeMKV supports UHD discs. Everything except the decryption should work. Specifically:
  • HEVC codec is supported
  • AACS version is correctly displayed
  • Non-decrypted backup should now work (previously MakeMKV produced correct backups but incorrectly printed hashcheck errors).

Because MakeMKV contains no AACS2.0 keys, protected discs will fail to open. MakeMKV will save yet another dump in this case, called "AACS dump". Please send these dumps to svq@makemkv.com .

Just a reminder - the AACS2.0 decryption process for M2TS files is the same as in regular AACS, so if you happen to know volume key for particular disc, MakeMKV (as any other libaacs-based application) would be able to open the original disc directly. Please see https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/12 on how to provide volume keys to MakeMKV. As of time of this writing, no volume keys for UHD discs were ever released publicly.


Great news!
Does that mean that you will be able to crack any UHD disc?
And if I understand right, we need to send you the AACS dump first.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: UHD support
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:27 pm
Posts: 45
Awesome Mike! Thanks a lot!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: UHD support
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm
Posts: 366
dasefx wrote:
mike admin wrote:
Starting from version 1.10.8 MakeMKV supports UHD discs. Everything except the decryption should work. Specifically:
  • HEVC codec is supported
  • AACS version is correctly displayed
  • Non-decrypted backup should now work (previously MakeMKV produced correct backups but incorrectly printed hashcheck errors).

Because MakeMKV contains no AACS2.0 keys, protected discs will fail to open. MakeMKV will save yet another dump in this case, called "AACS dump". Please send these dumps to svq@makemkv.com .

Just a reminder - the AACS2.0 decryption process for M2TS files is the same as in regular AACS, so if you happen to know volume key for particular disc, MakeMKV (as any other libaacs-based application) would be able to open the original disc directly. Please see https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/12 on how to provide volume keys to MakeMKV. As of time of this writing, no volume keys for UHD discs were ever released publicly.


Great news!
Does that mean that you will be able to crack any UHD disc?
And if I understand right, we need to send you the AACS dump first.


No. It means if there are known keys MakeMKV can use them, but, it does not discern the keys for you. Meaning it does not have a built in way of defeating the UHD AACS 2.0 encryption on its own.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: UHD support
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:22 am
Posts: 2
SamuriHL wrote:
dasefx wrote:
mike admin wrote:
Starting from version 1.10.8 MakeMKV supports UHD discs. Everything except the decryption should work. Specifically:
  • HEVC codec is supported
  • AACS version is correctly displayed
  • Non-decrypted backup should now work (previously MakeMKV produced correct backups but incorrectly printed hashcheck errors).

Because MakeMKV contains no AACS2.0 keys, protected discs will fail to open. MakeMKV will save yet another dump in this case, called "AACS dump". Please send these dumps to svq@makemkv.com .

Just a reminder - the AACS2.0 decryption process for M2TS files is the same as in regular AACS, so if you happen to know volume key for particular disc, MakeMKV (as any other libaacs-based application) would be able to open the original disc directly. Please see https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/12 on how to provide volume keys to MakeMKV. As of time of this writing, no volume keys for UHD discs were ever released publicly.


Great news!
Does that mean that you will be able to crack any UHD disc?
And if I understand right, we need to send you the AACS dump first.


No. It means if there are known keys MakeMKV can use them, but, it does not discern the keys for you. Meaning it does not have a built in way of defeating the UHD AACS 2.0 encryption on its own.


Then why is he asking us to send the dumps of unprotected discs.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: UHD support
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm
Posts: 366
dasefx wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
No. It means if there are known keys MakeMKV can use them, but, it does not discern the keys for you. Meaning it does not have a built in way of defeating the UHD AACS 2.0 encryption on its own.


Then why is he asking us to send the dumps of unprotected discs.


Because he MIGHT be able to use the dumps to generate the keys...if not now, then at some point. That part is not clear yet. What I'm saying is that as it stands, MakeMKV does not have the ability to decrypt UHD discs without some external method for getting the title key. And it may very well be that Mike can take the dumps that are being generated and discern the keys somehow. I don't know on that point.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: UHD support
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:23 am
Posts: 4
This great news. Will send a few dumps, let me know if you need more.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: UHD support
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm
Posts: 4
That's great news Mike! I've sent through dumps from all of my UHD blu-rays. Hope they help.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference but they are all from Australia and I use a LG BH16NS55 Blu-ray Writer.

Thanks,
Marty


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: UHD support
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:11 pm
Posts: 15
I can confirm that using the volume keys available at https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... ost1826296, MakeMKV is able to directly decrypt the data on UHD discs, without the assistance of any other software. I'm using the LG WH16NS40 SVC 50 drive.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: UHD support
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 32
ccutrer wrote:
I can confirm that using the volume keys available at https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... ost1826296, MakeMKV is able to directly decrypt the data on UHD discs, without the assistance of any other software. I'm using the LG WH16NS40 SVC 50 drive.


but this only works with "UHD Friendly" drives, not UHD certified drives - at least as we're reporting on myce.com

but still cool.

wonder how these keys are being "discovered"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: UHD support
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:12 am
Posts: 1
Hi. Iam new here and i read the good News. So i have over 80 UHD´s here and i will make all of These in makemkv and will send you the dumps. If ist possible i pack the Dumps in one rar File and send you These files in E-Mail Attachement. If the files are too Big i give you a Sahre Online link to download the File.

Thanks a lot for your Great work.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: UHD support
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:25 pm
Posts: 6
Great work, Mike! Per others, I picked up an ASUS BW-16D1HT ($78 on amazon + some note about a rebate yesterday), got a copy of keydb.cfg from the web, put it into the .makemkv data directory, and I'm now able to do backups of uhd/4k disks. Awesome!

If you're trying this and get stuck, go to https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... ost1826296 and add those additional keys to your keydb.cfg file. (or create a new one in the .makemkv folder)

One suggestion - MakeMkv gave me the error "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted" when I hadn't gotten the additional keys. I enabled logging, but couldn't see what the disc volume key was. If you can report it as part of the error or show it somewhere, we can then validate it in our keys files to be sure it's not user error. (or to have a great keyword for google searches :)

Does anyone have tips on hdr10, dolby vision, atmos? I'm hopeful a backup would get everything and then it's up to another program to decipher.

I'm using plex for our home theater, with hdr10/dolby vision + dolby atmos for sound. Does anyone have tips on how to make this work properly? Before I'd used handbrake as an intermediary, but searching online implies that drops processing down to 8-bit 4:2:0 or something lower that would remove the quality.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: UHD support
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:18 am
Posts: 10
ccutrer wrote:
I can confirm that using the volume keys available at https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... ost1826296, MakeMKV is able to directly decrypt the data on UHD discs, without the assistance of any other software. I'm using the LG WH16NS40 SVC 50 drive.


How do you integrate those keys into MakeMKV?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: UHD support
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:21 pm
Posts: 204
Location: Canada
KayakNate wrote:
How do you integrate those keys into MakeMKV?

Create a keydb.cfg file in your MakeMKV data directory: http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/12


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Balthazar2k4 and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group