UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Low Winter Sun

Re: UHD drives

Post by Low Winter Sun »

I did the same thing. Removable media drives don't last forever, and this hole will eventually be plugged by the drive manufacturers.

preserve wrote:Decided to buy a second ASUS BW-16D1HT for peace of mind.

First one was Dec 2016 3.00. New one is Jan 2017 3.00, and is also working just fine.

My regular Blu-ray drive for ripping, an LG GGC-H20L, is still running happily since 2008!
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

Low Winter Sun wrote:I did the same thing. Removable media drives don't last forever, and this hole will eventually be plugged by the drive manufacturers.
My bet is that the hole will be reopened.....;)
starmax

Post by starmax »

First one was Dec 2016 3.00. New one is Jan 2017 3.00, and is also working just fine.

My regular Blu-ray drive for ripping, an LG GGC-H20L, is still running happily since 2008!
This!

Just went out to check prices and ouch! $85-100+ now for this drive. ASUS rebates are pretty sketchy, so don't buy assuming you will get yours.
Rathbone

Post by Rathbone »

Low Winter Sun wrote:I did the same thing. Removable media drives don't last forever, and this hole will eventually be plugged by the drive manufacturers.
I still have around 6 HD DVD XBOX drives and the first one still works. Sometimes you'll have to open up the drive and clean the lense but otherwise optical drives are very robust. I bought a 2nd BH16NS55 as backup for 40 Euro but that's all.
Pheran

Post by Pheran »

starmax wrote:

This!

Just went out to check prices and ouch! $85-100+ now for this drive. ASUS rebates are pretty sketchy, so don't buy assuming you will get yours.
I've gotten the approval email for my $25 rebate from a December purchase, but I haven't actually received the card yet.
Hifihedgehog

Post by Hifihedgehog »

mike admin wrote:

Code: Select all

UHD official drives:

LG WH16NS60
    LG BU40N
    LG BU50N
Thank you for all the hard work put into this effort to make UHD movie archiving a reality. So if official drives don't work, why are these few models listed? Do these special few official ones also work like their UHD friendly counterparts? Or they a mere sampling of official drives that don't work? I presume the later, but I would appreciate some clarification. I already know a few people outside of this forum who may have been confused by this. Thank you for clarifying.

---

EDIT: Will the LG BU30N work? Arusoft seems to have added it to their UHD friendly list fairly recently:

https://www.deuhd.ru/supported.html
Nick Nickel

Post by Nick Nickel »

Official UHD drives have software that prevents copying.
UHD-friendly drives are simple Blu-ray writers that can read 4K UHD.
There is also no software that prevents copying.
Many use the ASUS BW-16D1HT here.
starmax

Post by starmax »

Newegg has the WH16NS40 on sale right now for $50 w/promo code EMCXERV33 in case anyone is interested.
adidino

Post by adidino »

Mike (or someone that may know) the first page comments noted the ASUS BW-16 "series" will work. However what I didn't see on the list but is part of the series is the ASUS BW-16D1X-U external drive. Can anyone confirm this player will work? Is it just the internal version with a USB enclosure?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

adidino wrote:Mike (or someone that may know) the first page comments noted the ASUS BW-16 "series" will work. However what I didn't see on the list but is part of the series is the ASUS BW-16D1X-U external drive. Can anyone confirm this player will work? Is it just the internal version with a USB enclosure?
No, the BW-16D1X-U does NOT work - it is not BDXL compatible. I tried it... I gave that drive to someone who does not plan on buying any UHDs, because it is a good NON-UHD drive.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thrangster

Post by thrangster »

Why post the "official" drives in the first post if they are not even an option for MakMKV rips? Or am I missing something?

Also, I did update the firmware for 3.02 (deemed safe here) for the Asus 16. and it DID enable me to rip Oblivion, where with 3.01 I could not. However 3.02 did not help read Lucy...I have a new version of Lucy on order so we'll see if that is the issue (as some report there were bad pressings of Lucy?)

So if there are firmware updates to help improve read compatibility with the drives, we cannot take advantage of them because of the AACS2 issue? I want to understand where this whole thing is going, to the best that its understood...

Thanks
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

thrangster wrote:Why post the "official" drives in the first post if they are not even an option for MakMKV rips? Or am I missing something?

Also, I did update the firmware for 3.02 (deemed safe here) for the Asus 16. and it DID enable me to rip Oblivion, where with 3.01 I could not. However 3.02 did not help read Lucy...I have a new version of Lucy on order so we'll see if that is the issue (as some report there were bad pressings of Lucy?)

So if there are firmware updates to help improve read compatibility with the drives, we cannot take advantage of them because of the AACS2 issue? I want to understand where this whole thing is going, to the best that its understood...

Thanks
well 3.03 end of the game for u...... that's where this is going. I'm running 3.00 so far so good......
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Is the ASUS BW-16D1HT still the best drive to buy?

I'm tempted by the WH16NS40 for only $50 (and it has a faster BD-ROM readspeed)...
starmax

Post by starmax »

I would say so, but the prices fluctuate. I bought mine in Dec from Amazon for $63 + $25 rebate, which I just got confirmation ASUS is actually going to process :o

I did order one of these LG's from Newegg for a backup, but totally forgot it has to be SVC code NS50 to work. Mine should arrive on Thursday (2/1). I can report back then what the SVC code is. I think the Newegg promo code expires on 2/1, so hopefully I will get it in time to report back before the promo code expires.
Netmanca

Post by Netmanca »

starmax wrote:I would say so, but the prices fluctuate. I bought mine in Dec from Amazon for $63 + $25 rebate, which I just got confirmation ASUS is actually going to process :o

I did order one of these LG's from Newegg for a backup, but totally forgot it has to be SVC code NS50 to work. Mine should arrive on Thursday (2/1). I can report back then what the SVC code is. I think the Newegg promo code expires on 2/1, so hopefully I will get it in time to report back before the promo code expires.
I ordered my ASUS drive in August and got confirmation at the end of august. I had to open case wit them this week to follow up on the rebate never sent. keep an eye on it and be prepared to follow up if you don't get your rebate in a reasonable amount of time.

Like you i also ordered the LG, at that price point is a good backup if my ASUS ever fails.