MakeMKV support forum
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: UHD FAQ
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:42 am 

Last Revised: Jan 22, 2018.

MakeMKV supports over 600 UHD discs!

UHD Basics

I'm new to MakeMKV - what should I do first?
Turn on Expert Mode in Preferences -> General. Expert Mode is really not very complicated and you are going to see more information and have more options and much better control over what MakeMKV is doing. Options and functionality being discussed in the forums will make a lot more sense if you have Expert Mode turned on.

What version of MakeMKV works with UHD?
Starting with version 1.10.8, MakeMKV supports UHD - but you should always use the latest version for important updates, such as the new hashed keys method in 1.10.9. MakeMKV is frequently updated, so check here for the latest version.

What drives work with UHDs?
Check out the "UHD drives" thread for a full report. So far, the drive with the most reported success is the ASUS BW-16D1HT.

My drive isn't on the list, and it doesn't work with MakeMKV!
The "UHD drives" thread is there for a reason. Those are the drives that MakeMKV is able to use (and the same thing applies to other UHD applications). However, if your drive isn't on the list and you discover that it DOES work, post in that thread to let us know!

Should I update the firmware on my UHD drive?
No, DO NOT update your drive's firmware. See the "UHD drives" thread.

Hashed Keys

How does MakeMKV work with UHDs?
Read the hashed keys thread and download the key file in that thread. Bookmark that thread and visit it from time to time, because the keys_hashed.txt download is often updated!

How do I discover the key for a disc I have?
Right now there is no public way to do this. MakeMKV produces a dump file whenever you try to open a disc for which the key is unknown. Please send these dumps to svq@makemkv.com in order to help Mike expand MakeMKV's UHD support.

I have a list of keys, can I post it here?
No. Mike has requested that keys should not be posted in these forums.

I see more than one key for my movie, but MakeMKV won't open the disc.
There are multiple versions of UHDs for each movie (countries, retailers, rentals) and there may be multiple keys for even the same version, so it's possible that the key you have isn't the correct one for your particular disc.

If there's no key yet, is there a way to still "test" a disc to make sure the disc is good?
You can use MakeMKV's Backup function to copy the entire undecrypted disc to your hard drive, and then later, once a key is known, you can use MakeMKV to open the disc backup off your hard drive. When you start MakeMKV, don't open the disc - just push the Backup button, an icon with a green arrow pointing into a yellow folder, second-from-left in the top row of icons. (And make sure to send the AACS dump to svq@makemkv.com so that support for your disc can be added!)

Problems

MakeMKV reports MEDIUM ERROR or "corrupt or invalid at offset" errors while ripping.
This means that MakeMKV cannot physically read the medium (the UHD disc). This is usually due to either the disc not being perfectly clean (check your disc thoroughly from different angles under a bright light and carefully use a soft dry microfiber cloth to clean it) or it could be due to a defective disc, which can happen with all disc-based formats.

When I watch a UHD rip, how come I see blockiness, or the audio stutters, or the framerate won't keep up?
Don't use VLC for playback. Some recommended playback software has been http://mpv.io or MPC HC/BE with madvr. Also, check out our UHD Processing thread for discussions on reducing bitrate with software such as Handbrake.

I stopped using VLC, but my powerful computer still can't play MKV files smoothly?
On Blu-ray, each h.264 frame is encoded as 4 independent slices - this means that it is possible to decode any given frame using 4 parallel tasks. On UHD, each HEVC frame is encoded as 8 independent slices. Hardware decoders take advantage of this, but open-source software decoders don't use such acceleration. That's why a smart TV can easily play a high-bitrate HEVC from UHD, but could fail even on much lower bitrate MKVs from Handbrake. (Thanks to Mike for the info!)

When I watch a UHD rip on a non-HDR TV or computer screen, why are the colors muted?
HDR UHDs use Rec. 2020 / BT.2020, which is a 10-bit or 12-bit WCG (wide color gamut) color space (compared to Blu-rays, which use the Rec. 709 HDTV color space). If you view Rec. 2020 on a non-HDR monitor, the colors will appear muted. Some playback software, such as http://mpv.io, have various "tone mapping" methods to HDR to SDR on the fly during playback. If you are converting your rips, also note whether or not your conversion software is converting the color space, as well as which tone mapping method the conversion software is using.

KEYDB.cfg Volume Keys

What about the old KEYDB.cfg method?
The KEYDB.cfg method still works with MakeMKV. Download the latest KEYDB.cfg file and put this file in the MakeMKV data directory (specified in the preferences).

Where can I find more volume keys?
Volume keys are being posted on another forum in this thread. Bookmark the thread and check it from time to time for either the latest KEYDB.cfg file or for new keys. New volume keys can be simply added to the end of the KEYDB.cfg file with any plain text editor such as Notepad.

How can I check if known volume keys for a movie match the specific disc I have?
Each volume key in the KEYDB.cfg file comes with a hash - specifically, it's an SHA1 hash of a file on the disc: AACS\Unit_Key_RO.inf. So just check the hash of the file on your own disc, and see if it matches any of the known keys for that movie.

Last edited by preserve on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 32 times in total.

Post subject: Re: UHD FAQ
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:08 pm 

Thanks, preserve, excellent work. I would recommend one change, that you put a revision date, or "last revised", whatever, at the top of the post, something that states the last time you will have updated. We're in the "wild frontier" of UHD de-encrypting and processing so I expect that there will be numerous changes to how MakeMKV handles UHD discs over time (in a year or two, I can envision things being radically different).

I also request that the mods make this a sticky.

Latest Beta Key - http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
Multiple Playlists? - http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6316&start=15

Post subject: Re: UHD FAQ
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:37 pm 

Quote:
When I watch a UHD rip on a non-HDR TV or computer screen, why are the colors muted?

HDR UHDs use Rec. 2020 / BT.2020, which is a 10-bit or 12-bit WCG (wide color gamut) color space (compared to Blu-rays, which use the Rec. 709 HDTV color space). If you view Rec. 2020 on a non-HDR monitor, the colors will appear muted. Some playback software, such as madvr have various "tone mapping" methods to HDR to SDR on the fly during playback. If you are converting your rips, also note whether or not your conversion software is converting the color space, as well as which tone mapping method the conversion software is using.

I spent 4 solid months writing a program called XDR. Google the Kodi HDR project to learn more. This is designed to play any HDR material on normal TVs and projectors removing the dull washed out color. Allows custom meta data in 8,10,24..... Bit float at UHD resolutions. Works on win 7,10 64 bit versions w/custom presenter evr filter in mpcbe 64bit. Written in visual studio. Automatic xdr cal detection in kodi and windows shell. This software does what madvr can do but playback is smoother. Can work to make Blu-ray rips look like HDR to by pumping up the levels past your TVs ability in the software...... :mrgreen: