Creating a MKV file from the UHD Copy

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
shivac77

Creating a MKV file from the UHD Copy

Post by shivac77 »

I was looking for an option to create the MKV file from the UHD dump/Copy. It was loading the file as directory and goes to the base file levels instead of recognizing it as a disk or folder to use as the source. But DVDFAB is able to load the dump folder as a disk and able to extract to MKV with required details. I may be missing on this tool but not sure how to do this. If you have come across this, your insight is greatly appreciated !!
Woodstock

Re: Creating a MKV file from the UHD Copy

Post by Woodstock »

Are you meaning from an MakeMKV backup, or from a UHD ISO file?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
shivac77

Post by shivac77 »

It's MakeMKV Backup. Let me put this way. Successfully made a copy of the UHD with all its content. From this dump, if I want to make an MKV file, I am unable to do it.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

You did the backup with MakeMKV? If yes, you should be able to open it with MakeMKV. If no, then you are missing vital information from the disc.
shivac77

Post by shivac77 »

Yes I did backup(Copy) with MakeMKV. But I can't open the m2ts file through MKV or it can load as disc in the MKV.
It's not with one and same with all. Not sure what's missing here
shivac77

Post by shivac77 »

Yes, it was with MakeMKV as a copy. The challenge is I can't load the copied folder or M2TS file with makeMkv to make an MKV file.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

In MakeMKV, click on Files, Open Files. A window will open up that will allow you to browse for files.

Navigate to where the backup was created. Find the directory for the backup you made. In it, you will find a directory named BDMV. In that directory, you will find a file named index.bdmv. Select it, and click Open.

When it finishes reading the information, you can select which titles you want to convert to MKV files, just as if you had opened the disk directly.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
shivac77

Post by shivac77 »

Thank you so much. You nailed it down.
baidun

Post by baidun »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but have been readin in order to be able to make backup copies of my UHD discs with the intent of using Plex to watch the movies.

I purchased an Archon UHD player and downgraded the firmware to v1.00 per what I read on this forum. Running MakeMKV shows the LibreDrive is active and MakeMKV was able to create a backup of the UHD movie. It created a whole folder structure with a bunch of M2TS files in the STREAM directory.

Now I'd like to make an MKV file. I launched MakeMKV and selected 'open files' and pointed it to the discatt.dat file. It reads the file, identifies the movie, and ends with an error stating 'The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted, failed to open disc'

Can anyone assist with what I may have done wrong?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

baidun wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:03 am
Hi,

I'm new to this forum but have been readin in order to be able to make backup copies of my UHD discs with the intent of using Plex to watch the movies.

I purchased an Archon UHD player and downgraded the firmware to v1.00 per what I read on this forum. Running MakeMKV shows the LibreDrive is active and MakeMKV was able to create a backup of the UHD movie. It created a whole folder structure with a bunch of M2TS files in the STREAM directory.

Now I'd like to make an MKV file. I launched MakeMKV and selected 'open files' and pointed it to the discatt.dat file. It reads the file, identifies the movie, and ends with an error stating 'The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted, failed to open disc'

Can anyone assist with what I may have done wrong?
Nope, you obviously didn't read it properly. Also, you haven't decrypted the disc.

When backing up to folder, make sure the "decrypt" checkbox is checked. MakeMKV will then decrypt the entire disc into a folder. Then you select either the index.bdmv or MovieObject.bdmv file and MakeMKV will open the backup folder so you can create a MKV file.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
preserve

Post by preserve »

baidun wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:03 am
'The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted, failed to open disc'
From the stickied UHD FAQ:
preserve wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:42 am
MakeMKV says that "the volume key is unknown for this disc"?
MakeMKV produces an AACS .tgz dump file whenever you try to open a disc for which the key is unknown, and will report that the dump has been created. Email the dump file to svq@makemkv.com.
Usually within a few days after you submit the dump, the key will be processed. Make sure that you have "Enable Internet access" enabled in Preferences (in the General tab), so that MakeMKV will check for updated keys when you try to open the disc again.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00