A little confused

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ghost rider

A little confused

Post by ghost rider »

It ripped The Martian fine at 1st. Then I updated to 1.10.9 and changed a few thing and now it errors saying the keys are wrong. So I tried ID4 UHD and this one allowed me to make a MKV file, not an option before. :?:

2nd dump file is to big to upload is there another way?
Attachments
dump_SD_E7417F68E3494F023C5E.tgz
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 540 times
ghost rider

Re: A little confused

Post by ghost rider »

Here are some more dump files. Not sure if they are relevant or redundant.
Attachments
MKB20_v60_save.tgz
(3.28 MiB) Downloaded 537 times
MKB20_v60_01_The_Martian_-_Extended_Edition.tgz
(24.52 KiB) Downloaded 520 times
dump_SD_E7417F68E3494F023C5E.tgz
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 537 times
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Here is a screenshot of Independence Day UHD not sure if this is working correctly. It is making multiple mkv files 37g-39g its on the 4th one now. This is being done off the disc not from a rip. The button to make the mkv became available so I clicked it.
Attachments
make mkv log.png
make mkv log.png (85.69 KiB) Viewed 22084 times
preserve

Post by preserve »

Sounds like you have multiple playlists selected so it is ripping everything you have selected.

If you are new to MakeMKV I think some of your problems are related to basic usage and aren't specific to UHDs.

I don't have Independence Day so I can't comment on that disc.

I had no problems with Martian but I haven't installed 1.10.9 yet.

You already have a "new to UHD" thread. You could have kept posting there. Or make a specific thread for a specific disc - that's how things generally go in the Blu-ray forum. Continuing to make "I'm confused" / "I'm new" / "Help me" threads and then also posting in all of the general threads too may be counter-productive to actually learning how the program works and getting help when you run into genuine issues. Just trying to help you (and others new here) have a useful experience in these forums.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Point taken. How and or what do you do with the dumps? Is there a need to keep all these files? Will anyone analyze my dumps? Is there a better place to upload them?

I figured out what I changed that caused makemkv to fail for the Martian, I checked decrypt tab. I must not have the correct keys for this movie. So it seems that I can make rips to processed later.

The Independence day backup attempt I stopped. Looked like each mkv file was the entire movie. Haven't had time to analyze them. They are likely in 1080 and the audio is downgraded. I can play them in pdvd 17 on a non compliant system. Are there options with the paid version that I don't have now? I want a tool to make movie only full 4k video and full audio, anything less is not an option. I can already make full backups of BD discs.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

preserve wrote:Sounds like you have multiple playlists selected so it is ripping everything you have selected.

If you are new to MakeMKV I think some of your problems are related to basic usage and aren't specific to UHDs.

I don't have Independence Day so I can't comment on that disc.

I had no problems with Martian but I haven't installed 1.10.9 yet.

You already have a "new to UHD" thread. You could have kept posting there. Or make a specific thread for a specific disc - that's how things generally go in the Blu-ray forum. Continuing to make "I'm confused" / "I'm new" / "Help me" threads and then also posting in all of the general threads too may be counter-productive to actually learning how the program works and getting help when you run into genuine issues. Just trying to help you (and others new here) have a useful experience in these forums.
I figured it out thanks.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

I figured out how to insert the keys it was much simpler than I was thinking. I just copied them from various posts on the Doom9 thread on note pad.

I unchecked all the unwanted files and made a movie only backup of the file I wanted. Worked good and processed fast. What I'm missing is how do I retain the full audio. I end up with a 37g backup which may or may not be in 4k with down graded DD 5.1 audio.

CloneBD will do this but the 20+ hour processing time is unreasonable so I'm hopeful I can get Makemkv to work.
starmax

Post by starmax »

ghost rider wrote:I figured out how to insert the keys it was much simpler than I was thinking. I just copied them from various posts on the Doom9 thread on note pad.

I unchecked all the unwanted files and made a movie only backup of the file I wanted. Worked good and processed fast. What I'm missing is how do I retain the full audio. I end up with a 37g backup which may or may not be in 4k with down graded DD 5.1 audio.

CloneBD will do this but the 20+ hour processing time is unreasonable so I'm hopeful I can get Makemkv to work.
MakeMKV does not encode anything, it just copies the content “as-is” from the disc, which is a big reason why it’s so fast.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

starmax wrote:MakeMKV does not encode anything, it just copies the content “as-is” from the disc, which is a big reason why it’s so fast.

so there must be a way to keep the full audio?
starmax

Post by starmax »

ghost rider wrote: so there must be a way to keep the full audio?
Okay, so basically the MKV container allows you to save as many Audio streams as you want. When playing the MKV, your client should then allow you to select which audio stream you want to hear. This is great if you want to store a movie with the main audio track AND an alternate track, such as the director commentary. I rarely go to this effort, I think I've only done it on Star Wars movies. I would still recommend excluding most of the audio tracks, since there are often several alternate language tracks provided on the disc.

Again, MakeMKV does not convert the Video or Audio stream, it just decrypts and converts the wrapper from BD format to MKV. This is probably an over simplification, but trying to keep it simple here.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Are you running MakeMKV in Expert mode? Preferences -> General.

Expand a title by clicking the plus sign on the left side of it.

Now select the "Video" part of the track, and in the right pane where it says "Info" and "Track information," MakeMKV will tell you what the resolution of the title is. Any software player should also be capable of telling you the resolution of the resulting MKV file, which will match the resolution of the title as reported by MakeMKV.

You will also see all of the audio tracks so that you can decide which ones you want to rip into your file and which ones you don't need.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Thanks guys that should get started down the right path. I'm still in the demo version are these options available? This sounds like what I want.
preserve

Post by preserve »

There is no functionality difference to having a registered copy. All features are available in the Beta releases.

Purchasing a registration is basically showing support for all of Mike's hard work plus peace of mind for the Beta key expiry system that Mike uses. With a registration key, you can use any Beta version for as long as you want (but you shouldn't, you should always get the latest version). Without a registration key, the Beta key expires - it's always at the end of a month - all you have to do is come to the forum and wait for the new Beta key to be posted. It's usually available right away.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

preserve wrote:Are you running MakeMKV in Expert mode? Preferences -> General.

Expand a title by clicking the plus sign on the left side of it.

Now select the "Video" part of the track, and in the right pane where it says "Info" and "Track information," MakeMKV will tell you what the resolution of the title is. Any software player should also be capable of telling you the resolution of the resulting MKV file, which will match the resolution of the title as reported by MakeMKV.

You will also see all of the audio tracks so that you can decide which ones you want to rip into your file and which ones you don't need.
Man I'm slow I got it now but it took me a while to comprehend your detailed explanation, thank you for being specific. I checked the resolution is correct. You see I don't have a 4k set.

Does it make sense to rip to an ISO or just work off the disc? Seems like it make no sense to rip it first.

Just out of curiosity are the UHD movies with multiple video files making up the main movie like Lions Gate likes to make so you need a tool to get them in the correct order?
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Another complication my Sony ubpx800 UHD player says unsupported audio. I was clicking different files from the stream folder from a rip and it did play a TrueHD file just not from MKV.